I have diabetes but I've a life too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The spotlight always tends to focus on type 2 diabetes but type 1 is more serious and it most commonly occurs in children and young adults, writes Nancy Previs

You've had a healthy, contented baby and begun a new life chapter. But then heartbreak -- your toddler becomes ill, and doctors diagnose a life-threatening condition -- type 1 diabetes.

This is what Maura Larney, from Drogheda, had to deal with when son Ultan, now a 16-year-old, was just two.

"He'd been a healthy little lad up until that stage. He got a bad head cold, didn't shake it off and then got very sick very quickly. We thought this was type 1 diabetes because a couple of his uncles have it and we rushed him to the A&E.

http://www.independent.ie/health/i-have-diabetes-but-ive-a-life-too-3081544.html

A shame the article starts with the statement "The spotlight always tends to focus on type 2 diabetes but type 1 is more serious" :(

would be nice if there were some diabetic journalists to report things accurately across the board for all diabetics and correct info for the public

Shame that sometimes people do think type one is more serious etc etc and less important and its not just journalists,some relatives of mine albeit an old uneducated aunt said well at least you wont be as bad as your uncle(type 1)

The spotlight always tends to focus on type 2 diabetes but type 1 is more serious and it most commonly occurs in children and young adults, writes Nancy Previs

You've had a healthy, contented baby and begun a new life chapter. But then heartbreak -- your toddler becomes ill, and doctors diagnose a life-threatening condition -- type 1 diabetes.

This is what Maura Larney, from Drogheda, had to deal with when son Ultan, now a 16-year-old, was just two.

"He'd been a healthy little lad up until that stage. He got a bad head cold, didn't shake it off and then got very sick very quickly. We thought this was type 1 diabetes because a couple of his uncles have it and we rushed him to the A&E.

http://www.independent.ie/health/i-have-diabetes-but-ive-a-life-too-3081544.html

A shame the article starts with the statement "The spotlight always tends to focus on type 2 diabetes but type 1 is more serious" :(

When articles or people say ( and it has been said to me) 'oh it's the serious one', because it's injections for the rest of our lives and also many, many adults/children diagnosed with type 1, do end up in hospital (myself included) which can be life threatening at the time for alot of people, some people may remember when my little grandaughter Grace was rushed to hospital in the early hours of the morning last year and put in the HDU. Grace was about 9 months older than Ultan. Sheena

Well tell someone with HONK that T2 isn't serious LOL.

OK HONK doesn't happen as often as mega Hypo or DKA esp when you dilute it between 9x as many actual people.

I get so sick of hearing that - yet a few years back I genuinely thought the same - shows how much I've learned in the last 4/5 years. So who am I to criticise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back