I hate flu jabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estellaa

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
they always make me feel so ill, i had it at like 3pm today and i had to go back into college for another 2 hours, makes me really sleepy.
really sleepy now, feel rough got another long ole day tomorrow.
dang flu jab.

Yeah knocked me out last time i had mine as well, I have mine Wednesday and i have my fingers crossed it will be a little more gentle with me on he side effect front...Hope you feel better soon Estellaa x

I actually elected to miss my fly jab for several years for just this reason (this is not something I would recommend anyone doing). My problem was that my immune system took such a hit with the joint flu/pneumonia jabs that I picked up all the bugs being brought home by two small children and ended up being the most ill I've been for as long as I can remember.

I had the swine flu jab last year, and am yet to decide what to do for this years offering

M

I had the flu jab last year and was okay, it was the swine flu one which hurt for about a week. Had my flu jab today, was in & out within 5 mins and touch wood I feel okay x

My late father had the flu-jab and got flu a few days later, he blamed the jab and never had it again. I've not had any problems and have it every year after experiencing the full effects of flu some 5 years ago. Estella, try and drink plenty of water and take paracetamol if you can, and hopefully you will feel much better tomorrow. Toby.

Two different problems, each with possible solutions / ameliorating actions, based on personal experience of being at both ends of vaccination needles.
(1) Generally feeling awful - often people miss food and / or drinks in order to get a vaccination, so feeling ill might actually be, at least in part, dehydration - take food & a drink with you; a simple painkiller / antipyretic (brings down temperature) such as paracetamol can help with general feeling of illness / headache etc.
(2) Sore arm - often caused by holding arm too rigid when needle goes in; difficult, I know to relax, but if you hold hand on your hip, then let upper arm "flop", sticking out elbow, thay gives you the best chance of relaxing muscle.

Had mine this morning. The advice, if feeling unwell, was to drink plenty of fluids and take paracetomol.

I've never suffered any ill effects from any of the vaccinations but realise I'm probably lucky in that.

The leaflet does state that the flu jab can't give you flu. It also says that you should tell the nurse if you feel unwell before having the jab, so maybe it compromises your ability to fight off existing infections.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back