i had chippy chips today

Status
Not open for further replies.

traceycat

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
went out for the day with my hubby an on our way back we stopped for chips, i had a bag of chips with tomatoe ketcup and 1 beef sauage. have to admit i felt realy quilty afterwards. i tested before i ate and i was 5.8, 1hr later i was 11.6 so i know thats bad right? after 2hrs i was down to 6.8. does this mean that the meal would have been realy bad or not to bad as my levels went down again after 2hrs? this is the part i dont understand when i test an after an hour it can be quite high but after 2hours im down low again, most of the time. thanks for any help xxx

Last edited:
tracey - that's a perfectly normal thing to see. as the carbs are broken down and released into your blood stream, you'll find a peak (which all diabetics see, type one or two). then your insulin kicks in and brings you back down. don't worry - this all sounds just right 🙂

Traceycat,

Chippy food is really hard to get right. Take a look at our experiment when we all had fish and chips and everyones results were all very different. Your 1 hour test is high as its double your pre-meal - but the 2 hour check is fine. What you have to weigh up is how often would you eat this sort of thing? If its once in a blue moon - then its not too bad - but if you were eating this every night - then obviously this wouldnt be good for your levels. Hope you enjoyed it!🙂Bev

thanks shiv an bev. that has reasured me. it wouldnt be every night id do this but have to admit i would eat from a chippy at weekends when hubby is home from work, usaly its a chinese meal though which is probley worse. through the week ive been realy good so far, just eating my 3 well balanced meals. im not as good as i should be when hubbys home an we can go out for treats, this is something i am trying to cut down on.
yes i enjoyed it bev but guilt kicked in realy quick and then i felf realy bad for having it instead of a nice salad or sandwhich.

Last edited:
I'm right jealous! Whenever I have chips (there's the world's best chippy two minutes down the road) my numbers shoot through the roof and take hours to come down again. Then I spend days feeling guilty.

I think you got away with it though. 11.6 is high, but it came down again pretty quickly so I shouldn't worry.

I'm right jealous! Whenever I have chips (there's the world's best chippy two minutes down the road) my numbers shoot through the roof and take hours to come down again. Then I spend days feeling guilty.

I think you got away with it though. 11.6 is high, but it came down again pretty quickly so I shouldn't worry.

the guilt sort of spoilt the whole treat for me, every chip i ate all i was thinking was i wonder how high im gonna be when i get home an test. came home an bought a lovely patio table an chairs set so im looking forward to sitting out back and enjoying some nice home cooked meals, maybe try that next weekend instead 🙂

Hi traceycat,

Anything in double figures - even one hour after finishing eating - is too high as far as I'm concerned. These days, I try to keep my one hour after finishing eating readings below 7 and I manage to achieve that alsmost all of the time.

Best wishes - john

Hi traceycat,

Anything in double figures - even one hour after finishing eating - is too high as far as I'm concerned. These days, I try to keep my one hour after finishing eating readings below 7 and I manage to achieve that alsmost all of the time.

Best wishes - john

my fiqures seem to be getting better one hour after eating, sometimes still to high though but im learning i hope, apart from when i do what i did today.
can i ask john if my numbers were to be high every time 1 hour after eating would i be doing alot of harm to my body even if they lower after 2 hours?
im just finding it so hard to try to get things right at the minute.

I only test at 2 hours, never tested at 1 hour before. Eek.

Ps. I had half a bag of chippy chips the other night. Didn't test at all in case it was bad 😱

Traceycat: yest this is where i get a little confused, whether a high reading at 1 hour and an 'acceptable' reading 2 hours later is good or bad? i seem to be slowly getting my head round this diabetes thing but i still get confused :confused:

I have chips from the chippy as atreat. If it is a treat and not something you do all the time, don't feel guilty. Next time you feel like having chips, have the chips and enjoy them!

........can i ask john if my numbers were to be high every time 1 hour after eating would i be doing alot of harm to my body even if they lower after 2 hours?.........
Hi again traceycat,

I'm not qualified to tell you what harm you might be doing to your body by having high results - however, I have read that it is likely to be the spikes (high readings) that are likely to be the things that do the damage and cause complications.

I just keep working at getting my numbers as low as I can at all times and so far that is working for me. Personally, I'd rather err on the safe side rather than take a chance by running on the high side.

Best wishes - John

Hi again traceycat,

I have read that it is likely to be the spikes (high readings) that are likely to be the things that do the damage and cause complications.

I would have to test a billion times a day to avoid spikes... its no way to live. This is why I dont read anything about research, it is all maybe this or likeley that, no one really giving you something that you can beleive 100% I really dont like having diabetes sometimes....:(

As long as your bg's are back in range 2 hours post meal then that's good and you shouldn't feel quilty about having chips occasionally everything in moderation and all that 😉 x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back