I had been diagnosed with prediabetes today. Has any one any useful tips for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife was diagnosed with prediabetes, at time she was overweight due to ill health, after telling her about Newcastle Diet & how losing fat, particularly visceral fat around organs it can reverse condition. Anyway she joined local slimming group & lost 5 stone, since then all bloods have been normal so it can done.

In need of some tips to help control prediabetes
Reduce your consumption of carbohydrates.
Blood sugars should normalise and if you have a few pounds to lose that should happen too without starvation being needed.

Last edited:
In need of some tips to help control prediabetes
Prediabetes is a bit of a wakeup call to make some changes to your diet, they may only need to be fairly modest but the obvious thing would be to cut out cakes, biscuits, sugary drinks including fruit juice and reduce the portion size of other high carb foods like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, pastry, breakfast cereals and tropical fruits. Basing your meals on meat, fish, eggs, dairy, vegetables, salads and fruit like berries. Being careful of takeaways and pre-prepared sauces as they can be staggeringly high in carbohydrates.
Your body is struggling to cope with the amount of carbs you are currently having so the obvious thing is to reduce what goes into it.
Increasing your exercise if you can and losing weight will also help to prevent your Blood glucose going up into the diabetic zone.
How close to the upper end of the pre-diabetes range will depend on how much work you will need to do, 42-47mmol/mol is pre-diabetes.
This link may give you some ideas for modifying your diet. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Hi @Stephen Ozzy

I can't really give you any tips! Are you in England?

Fairly recently been diagnosed with pre-diabetes myself - late December 2022! My GP Surgery has referred me to the Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Programme. I was able to choose a time, date & location which is best for me. Maybe you should look into this for yourself? There is more about the programme on the main site I think & i think the NHS site too. I think for some people that they re able to refer themselves. If not, your GP might be able to refer you to it!

I can't really say how I finding the programme as I'm having started it yet! Sorry! I will be starting it in April.

Blue-16
(Susan)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back