I give up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akasha

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So i got home from work yesterday to find my blood levels were 3.3.
As food was nearly done, i had a small glass of orange juice.
10 min later i checked to make sure before insulin and i waas 2.6! 😱
Managed to sort this out and was 5.8 upon waking this morning.

Now my breakfast, is normally a cereal bar (15 grams carb) and a cup of lemon tea (5 grams carb)
As i am on a 1:10 raitio, i need 2 units of insulin. yes?
I get to work and am 17.7! Thinking this was wrong, i check again and its 19.2!!! 😡

Yet yesterday, same breakfast 8.7 on waking, had 3.5 units of insulin and was 2.9 on getting to work!

Maybe there is something in the air, as alot around here seem to be struggling with levels... ?

So i got home from work yesterday to find my blood levels were 3.3.
As food was nearly done, i had a small glass of orange juice.
10 min later i checked to make sure before insulin and i waas 2.6! 😱
Managed to sort this out and was 5.8 upon waking this morning.

Now my breakfast, is normally a cereal bar (15 grams carb) and a cup of lemon tea (5 grams carb)
As i am on a 1:10 raitio, i need 2 units of insulin. yes?
I get to work and am 17.7! Thinking this was wrong, i check again and its 19.2!!! 😡

Yet yesterday, same breakfast 8.7 on waking, had 3.5 units of insulin and was 2.9 on getting to work!

Maybe there is something in the air, as alot around here seem to be struggling with levels... ?

Orange juice for a hypo sometimes just takes too long - much better to have lucozade or coke as it works much quicker than fruit juice.

17.7 after breakfast could be the timing of injections has missed the peak of the food - when did you inject for it?🙂Bev

Erm, i normally check blood, do insulin, make sandwiches for lunch, then grab food. so about 10 min before food.

And for a hypo only just under 4, i dont tend to go for the strong stuff. lol. I would end up over correcting.

Hi,
you mentioned that you had 3.5 units yesterday. Was this because your breakfast was different or was there an element of correction in that dose?

Erm, i normally check blood, do insulin, make sandwiches for lunch, then grab food. so about 10 min before food.

And for a hypo only just under 4, i dont tend to go for the strong stuff. lol. I would end up over correcting.

If I gave Alex an injection 10 minutes before for a cereal bar - he would almost certainly have gone hypo and then had a late high. It really depends on the cereal bar and the sugar/fat content really. Perhaps if you do the injection just before you start to eat it might help with the late spike.🙂

The hypo you had which needed the orange may have been on its way to a very low hypo - in which case - the fruit juice wouldnt have been 'quick' enough to bring you up - I think its because its fructrose rather than glucose and has a slower release. I have stopped using it for hypos now because i was finding that it was taking too long to work and then causing too much of a spike later on.🙂Bev

Redpumper,
I had the same breakfast, but with a chocie digestive aswell.
Plus the extra 1/2 unit to bring me down, as i am hoping to look at starting family within a year, and if i can learn better control now, it will be easier when i come to it.

Bev
Point i guess, i never thought that it was the start of a bad hypo. normally if i catch it in the 3's it doesnt get down to the twos. :(

It's possible that the choccy digestive may have affected the carb release from the other food that you had for breakfast.
What are your results usually like after breakfast? If they are nornally OK and the last two days are exceptions then I wouldn't be too worried. You will occasionally find that for some reason the insulin gets absorbed unusually quickly or unusually slowly after the odd injection, as long as this is the exception then I would try not to worry too much.
Try to look for trends over a week or two weeks rather than worrying about the odd strange event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back