I give up

Status
Not open for further replies.

spell

If you have diabetes you are labelled a diabetic.
If you have cancer you are not called a cancer, I can't think of any other diseases where you are labelled after that disease.
So being a diabetic you are defined as a disease.
What a bag of shit.

You are not defined as a disease, you are defined as having the disease.
"Diabetic" is a shorthand for "diabetic person" or "diabetic patient", much like "cancer patient".
Once you reach a certain age, you probably don't care what people think about you or call you!

I have autism and describe myself as autistic. Have dyslexia and describe myself as dyslexic. People I know with asthma describe themselves as asthmatic.

I have diabetes and describe myself as diabetic. It’s just words describing what conditions you have. I don’t see any problem with it.

Am happy enough to be called a diabetic as it helps explain the condition and helps others understand.
However I always look upon my diabetes as a condition for me to manage rather than a disease.It may seem a subtle difference but I do not classify it as anything other than having to make some adjustments to live a very normal and contented life.

If you have diabetes you are labelled a diabetic.
If you have cancer you are not called a cancer, I can't think of any other diseases where you are labelled after that disease.
So being a diabetic you are defined as a disease.
What a bag of shit.
The grammatical torture needs to end! We don't 'live with diabetes' like its our flatmate who occsionally forgets to wash up or nicks the milk, but isn't such a pain as diabetes. Type 1 anyway.
Diabetes is really demanding but it is NOT my identity and I try to minimise its' impact on my life. The new tech makes that a lot easier. There is no need to wear the label as if you are a victim and its up to you how you speak about it (or don't).

I have never been “a diabetic”. Diabetic is an adjective. I am a person with diabetes. Concentrate on the person. You are way more than your health condition(s)

Well - some years ago now we were all requested to call people with diabetes exactly that hence using the phrase PWD in full every time you wished to convey summat like Blimey - every diabetic in Timbuktu has been issued with HCL technology! or anything really - whereas I can't usually be arsed to type or say more words than are necessary to convey my message. If I refer to you, or Patti, Northerner or someone as eg examples of UK diabetics I happen to have met - how on earth is that inferring that diabetic describes anything about each of you other than the fact we all have diabetes and as it happens, all use insulin to treat it. There is no way whatever that anyone could possibly glean any other morsel of info about us, from that word - and I deliberately chose those individuals because we really don't have very much else in common, really!
(and also of course because I've met a limited number of people from forums generally 😉 )

I remember a GP explaining summat medical to me one day about 15 years ago about my thyroid TSH level that contained the phrase 'people like you blah dee blah..' and I responded with the query 'Now doc, when you say 'people like you' do you mean "female, brunette recently retired corporate international insurance brokers", or perchance "people with diabetes" then?' Broad grin from Doc and the firm response, 'The latter!'

I have never been “a diabetic”. Diabetic is an adjective. I am a person with diabetes. Concentrate on the person. You are way more than your health condition(s)

That’s my preferred terminology too. It is also what medics and healthcare professionals are encouraged to use. There was a “Language Matters” campaign that showed just how important it can be in terms of people being treated as individuals who have much more to them that whatever conditions they have going on in their lives.

Good to see you posting again @spell

Look after yourself.

I saw a Tshirt that clearly states 'like it is' to the reader because on the front of it, it said

I am that grandma.
Sorry - not sorry

I just drop the "a" so "I am diabetic" [adjective] because I have diabetes, not "a diabetic" [noun].

Agree with the OP on the syntax. Same with other adjectives, I am not "a lesbian" [noun], actually I'm "not lesbian" [adjective] either, cos I have Y chromosomes. But I'm also not "a homosexual" [noun] or even homosexual [adjective] cos I like females. Those were the most misused terms that occurred to me. Apologies if anyone offended

I don't care what people refer to me as to be honest. It doesn't change the fact that I have diabetes. I certainly don't get upset if someone asks if I am "diabetic", " a diabetic" or "person with diabetes". The answer is all of the above. I really don't see how it matters or honestly, how anyone could even get upset about it!?

"Bag of shite!" - Paul/Pauline Calf, performed by Steve Coogan, as anyone from Northern England would rightly say as regional dialect and slang!

@spell get boxing punchbag and vent all your feelings on that, you will burn calories and probably feel better!

My Diabetic Nurse is too obsessed with genitalia to engage in any real conversations with me as real living person, and I think the collective adjective for "group of homosexuals" (plural) is "gaggle of gays" post-1967 decriminalisation, and chromosomes have nothing to do with gender identity, so trans woman with Y chromosomes definitely can very much self-identify as "lesbian", and trans man with X chromosomes can very much self-identify as "gay man", and non-binary people represent an affront to gendered languages, so make-up their own valid gender neutral words on daily basis used on social media such as "ze" or "zir" or "herm" pronouns, hope this cheers you up anyway!

Some people tell me that I am not a diabetic because I am too thin!
Carol
This and or too young.

Most of the time I don’t care at all. Sometimes it makes me rage ha

Being "a diabetic" defines who you are as a person, or actually not a person but a diabetic. You are not "a diabetic", you are a person who happens to have diabetes. You may think it's just semantics but is much more

@PhoebeC I believe that anthropologists who have studied these specimens have declared that "gaggle of gays" is less than "hun-gathering" of gays bis and trans folks needing safety in numbers for say straight family weddings, or group package holiday to somewhere cheap but not LGBTQIA+ friendly like Hun-gary, but not as much as the full "Pride plains experience" where all kinds of furries, fetish, drag and poly sub-cultures gather and mingle with everything under the friendly rainbow umbrella of "LGBTQIA+" for big party and protest once per year, like primal mating rituals and breeding grounds these creatures frequent in all their peacock splendour and femme realness... So about ten if you are lucky to gather that many in one place as they can be very easily distracted by something better and shinier and younger coming along... Sigh... All read in very solemn worthy David Attenborough voice like the birth of baby animal from near extinct species... "And in this circle of life, She finds a way to not only survive, but thrive, fabulously, as Mother to her many varied diverse gaybies taking their first steps in the concrete jungle..." 😉

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back