I exist in a fog. Some days it blows away, but some days it's heavy and suffocating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A quarter of Australians will experience an anxiety condition. It’s not a buzzword, it’s real, and it means I’ve been afraid since before I knew what it was to be afraid.

Last week, while I waited for a meeting to begin, two people pondered mental illness. Is it real? It’s probably a buzzword, they said. But I mean, I guess you have to feel sorry for them. Still. You know. You know.

I sat at the other end of the table and listened to my heart drumming in my chest. Fast as you like, bam-bam-bam-bam, then skipping a few times, heart palpitations, bam-bam . . . bam-bam. They congratulated themselves on their empathy and I excused myself to sit in a corridor and breathe as far into my body as I could, to find myself again.

About a quarter of Australians will experience an anxiety condition in their lives. It is the realest thing I can imagine.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-away-but-some-days-its-heavy-and-suffocating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back