1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

I don't know if this is good or bad

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by BlueNorm, Jul 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BlueNorm

BlueNorm Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    I have been using a finger prick meter to record my blood sugar levels for the past 4 weeks
    I don't have a good relation ship with my diabetic nurse and need some help from here.
    I was told to aim for readings of 5-6 but not lower than 4.
    I take reading before breakfast and evening meal then take the reading, over the past 8 days I have an average reading of 6.6 before breakfast and an average reading of 5.8 before the evening meal.I have been told it is not good enough and that perhaps I should take more medication, present medication is 40mg Alogliptin in a morning and 40mg Gliclazide after each meal,
    I also have a heart condition and am waiting to have a stent fitted to my heart so I don't want to increase the medication as my cardiologist consultant said that I was doing OK with the diabetes but the diabetic nurse disagrees.
    Any advice would be most welcome

2. everydayupsanddowns

everydayupsanddowns Moderator

Type 1
    Those levels look pretty decent from my T1 perspective. Have you had a recent HbA1c?

Did you ask your nurse what they wanted you to be aiming for?

3. Anitram

Anitram Well-Known Member

Type 2
    For T2 the fasting level, when you get up in the morning and before you eat or drink anything, should be between 4 and 7, and under 8.5 two hours after eating. These are the recommended numbers off THIS site. As Mike says, these are pretty decent numbers.

Have you been checking two hours after eating to see what effect your meal has had?

One of my DNs said I should aim to keep my BG in single figures. Another said between 5 and 10, so neither gave me a specific target. Diabetes UK says that 4 is the floor and 10 the ceiling, so they are all roughly in the same place.

Martin

4. BlueNorm

BlueNorm Member

Type 2
    I have been told both readings must be between 5&6 but not lower than4
    I have no other information other than more medication
    As I have already said we don't get on
    so she has put on my records that I refuse to follow her instructions
    Thank you for your comments

5. Anitram

Type 2
    Between 5 and 6 would be a good place to be but it's not somewhere you can get to very quickly, depending on where you started from. Took me the best part of 4 months.

Martin

6. Drummer

Drummer Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Surely those numbers - translated into Hba1c terms, are in the mid to low 30s. Granted they are with the help of medication - but just how low a Hba1c would the nurse consider acceptable?
    My average blood glucose, with Hba1c of 42 would be about 7mmol/l and I am officially in remission, being diet only.
    I also wonder - just what is the Hba1c resulting from those really rather good levels.

7. BlueNorm

BlueNorm Member

Type 2
    my last HBA1c reading was 49

everydayupsanddowns likes this.
  8. Drummer

Type 2
    That is barely diabetic at all - is there anyone else you can discuss your results with?
    It is a bit higher than I would have thought with those finger prick tests.
    It is always problematic when you are taking glucose lowering medication to know just how much carb to have with meals - I am wondering if you should be testing before and after meals to see if your glucose is spiking.

9. Anitram

Type 2
    I'm due my next Hba1c test in 3 weeks and if it comes back 49 I'll be very happy, having been diagnosed in March at 114.

I just don't get it with your DN.

Martin

10. rebrascora

rebrascora Well-Known Member

Type 1
    There is a difference between aiming for such a narrow target of 5 and 6 and hitting it 100% of the time. I very much doubt that a non diabetic can maintain that range 100% of the time let alone your average Type 2 diabetic. I know I am Type 1 but I struggle to keep mine in single figures all the time and feel I have failed when it goes over 10 but we are human and BG levels are affected by so many things that it is unreasonable to expect you to maintain your readings in such a narrow margin. I do think that many nurses at GP practices get a lot of theory but do not really appreciate the complexity of managing BG levels and whilst they might be told that 5s and 6s are the desired levels, it may not have been explained to them that they are not always achievable. It sounds to me like she may also be under some pressure herself to reach targets with her patients.
    Having a good relationship with the practice nurse that oversees your diabetes management is important. Mine is supportive, sympathetic and encouraging but will be the first to admit that there is a lot she doesn't know and suggests I seek advice from the hospital if she is out of her depth. Perhaps a change of practice may be worthwhile if you cannot resolve the problem. Have you approached the practice manager about the difficulty you are having?

11. BlueNorm

BlueNorm Member

Type 2
    Thank for your comments.
    Reading this morning 7.5 befoe breakfast
    I am trying to follow a low carb diet
    I also have had a high cholesterol reading in the past but latest test was 4.8 march 2019
    not sure if low carb is helping cholesteral as i'm eating a lot of eggs
    trying to get the correct level is difficult

12. Anitram

Type 2
    What sort of numbers are you getting two hours after eating?

13. BlueNorm

BlueNorm Member

Type 2
    2 hours after breakfast 7.3
    I have no idea what this tells us though

14. Anitram

Type 2
    Well you're below 8.5 two hours after eating, which is what the info on the site says is the place for T2s. Can I ask what breakfast was?

15. BlueNorm

BlueNorm Member

Type 2
    Breakfast was 1 plain scrambled egg

16. Anitram

Type 2
    That's about as low carb as you can get so that shouldn't do anything to your level. Are you testing after your main meals?

17. BlueNorm

BlueNorm Member

Type 2
    No I was told by DN that she only wanted testing before breakfast and main meal

18. rebrascora

rebrascora Well-Known Member

Type 1
    You might want to try testing before you get out of bed on a morning. Some people find their BG goes up the minute their feet touch the ground due to Dawn Phenomena, so you may be getting an inflated figure for your fasting test if you do it after you have got up and dressed and put the kettle on etc.
    I believe that recent research indicates that there is no direct route for cholesterol which is ingested via food getting into the blood stream (ie the cholesterol in the likes of eggs getting into your blood, but rather that your body makes it's own cholesterol) I have a two egg omelette almost every day for breakfast with a variety of veggie fillings sometimes with cheese and a salad
    There is so much misinformation out there you really have to make our own mind up by doing a bit of research and following your gut instinct on these things.
    We have been encouraged to eat carbohydrates for years because of some potentially flawed and ill interpreted scientific research 70years ago which suggested that fat was bad and causing heart disease. Eating low fat as a result of that research has lead to our current high carb diets which is believed to be the cause of the current diabetic epidemic.... which of course puts our hearts at risk, so that low fat dietary advice has achieved nothing and yet it is still being perpetuated. There are some quite eminent scientists who are now challenging that low fat dietary advice and believe low carb high fat diets are healthier. I certainly feel better for cutting carbs down to a minimum and eating more fat, but the powers that be (government/NHS etc) are terrified to go against the previous 70 years of low fat advice, but if you eat low carb, you have to get your energy from some other nutrient and fat is the obvious choice.... more protein puts a strain on other organs. It is also very important to eat more fibre in the form of leafy veg though too.

19. Anitram

Type 2
    Whatever your DN says you should test 2 hours after your main meal. It's the only way you'll know what effect your meal had on your BG levels. This is what we all generally do.

Don't forget that on the forum you're talking to people who are actually living with diabetes.

Martin

20. Drummer

Type 2
    You need not worry about the eating eggs raising cholesterol - someone actually checked this well known 'fact; and found that there was no truth in it.
    A proper low carb breakfast consists of several eggs, bacon, sausage, and maybe tomato - I find I need about 10 gm of carb first thing to stop the dawn phenomenon continuing to raise blood glucose - but you need to check after meals or you'll never know how to adjust your diet to suit your metabolism.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2019