I did it

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I em delighted that I finally overcame a fear of getting back in a swimming pool where I needed to take off my pump.
It was a pool which is the same depth all along so I knew I could stop at any point. I had a Tupperware (other brands are available) in which I had JBs test kit, pump, glasses and cleaning cloth.

I checked before I started and went for a couple of JBs to raise my levels a bit. I disconnected and suspended delivery then and swam two length and checked (6.0). For some reason the sensor and pump would not connect again. I used fingerpricks. With no basal and JBs I rose to 6.2. Two more lengths 6.4. I decided I could do 4 lengths this time. Half way along the final length I had a big panic. I had to stop. Recovered with a lot of help from a friend. I did another two lengths and decided 10 was enough and the hot tub beckoned .

I was exhausted at the end of it, up that may have been the glass of Prosecco with our fabulous meal. Done it, and ready to have another go. Very Very Very pleased.

I em delighted that I finally overcame a fear of getting back in a swimming pool where I needed to take off my pump.
It was a pool which is the same depth all along so I knew I could stop at any point. I had a Tupperware (other brands are available) in which I had JBs test kit, pump, glasses and cleaning cloth.

I checked before I started and went for a couple of JBs to raise my levels a bit. I disconnected and suspended delivery then and swam two length and checked (6.0). For some reason the sensor and pump would not connect again. I used fingerpricks. With no basal and JBs I rose to 6.2. Two more lengths 6.4. I decided I could do 4 lengths this time. Half way along the final length I had a big panic. I had to stop. Recovered with a lot of help from a friend. I did another two lengths and decided 10 was enough and the hot tub beckoned .

I was exhausted at the end of it, up that may have been the glass of Prosecco with our fabulous meal. Done it, and ready to have another go. Very Very Very pleased.
Hello, in curious not being a pumper. Is the cannula removed too? Or is there a “stopper” to stop potential water ingress from the pool? Sounds like you had a great time.

Hello, in curious not being a pumper. Is the cannula removed too? Or is there a “stopper” to stop potential water ingress from the pool? Sounds like you had a great time.
The cannula is not removed.
There is a cap that you can put on it but i never had a problem with water ingress. The pump pushes insulin into the cannula and there is not enough pressure in the water in a pool.

Well done @SB2015 ! I always test lots when I swim (and eat plenty of glucose). I hope you enjoyed it despite the stress.

My cannula has a one way membrane thing @helli I think it might have a name but I’ve forgotten :rofl: I used to have ones that had a click in bit when I was on other pumps (kind of like the cannula end attachment but no tube bit, just the end).

I had a plug to put in my cannula whilst disconnected @helli

My cannula has a one way membrane thing @helli I think it might have a name but I’ve forgotten
Sounds like your describing a “non-return valve.”

I had a plug to put in my cannula whilst disconnected
Thanks, that makes sense. I’ve been looking at the waterproof rating on what I believe is your pump? Which claims an IPX8 rating. I’ve got a watch that claims similar, but I wouldn’t challenge it no more than a splash washing the car. 🙂

Back