I did it! 100 miles for a £1000 raised

Robbie bobidy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone

It's taken me a while to get back on here and update finally had the time this morning!

On June 15th I cycled 116 miles raising £1525 for prostate cancer uk.

Earlier in the week of the 15th we made the difficult decision to change the route so what originally was planned to be a ride from Hastings to Bournemouth instead became a round trip to Worthing.

We set off at 5am in the morning into a slight headwind but the weather was clear (that would change) and made good progress reaching lewes at just before 8am for our first stop. At 30 miles in. As we left lewes the heavens opened and it wouldn't stop raining until we reached Worthing at around 11 o clock. It became clear we had made the right decision to turn the ride into a round trip as we hit Brighton seafront. We saw the heaviest downpours of the day, coupled with winds of up to 45mph this was then improved further by driving rain which turned to hail! I honestly belive my dearly departed father was laughing at me from on high, he did have a wicked sense of humour!

At Worthing I thought to hell with the diabetes and weighloss and tucked into a full English breakfast l, sweets and lots of coffee. At 12pm we started our journey back to hastings. Suddenly the sky brightened the clouds cleared, and the rain that had been trying to kill me for 40 miles seemed to want to help us. We flew along brighton seafront at 20 mph, and what had taken us close to two hours to cover on the way out took a little over an hour to cover on the way back. We cycled to lewes non-stop (other than a pee on a bush moment) and had a quick break before heading off towards Heathfield.

Nick my guide and constant companion on the trip had planned the route on strava and we then came across one of his "challenging hills" a short burst up what felt like after 70 miles the start of mount everest l! I did remember to thank him later! However I made it and after a constant climb of about 3 miles we reached the 92 mile mark in Heathfield l, where ibdid enjoy my first full fat coca cola on 6 months (note it wss very sweet).

Then came the cuckhoo trail all downhill and great fun l....unless you get a puncture l, I got a puncture! Nick, the mechanic, now fixed it, we had another innertube we wouldn't need we said, 5 minutes later having left the cuckhoo trail l, I got another puncture! 5 minutes later! Mile 97 once again dad was laughing at me and I imagine at this point so was gran and mum! Having realised at this point we also had the wrong size innertube for the bike, Nick the mechanic somehow once again got my bike working how I don't know but I was told to go careful on it l, why not sure but I did immediately hitting a pothole at 15mph but thankfully with no puncture to follow

My bike at this stage was beginning to struggle the gears were now not changing smoothly, and my crank was making a lovely creaking sound each time I pedalled as we passed 100 miles I wont lie a few tears passed my eyes being a real man I of course said this was due to a fly entering my eye, but in truth it was 6 months of hard work coming to fruition. We reached hastings pier at 1845 and without the punctures would have been there by 1745.

In January i was 22 stone 12 pounds had high cholesterol, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. 6 months later I am 17st 12lbs have normal blood pressure, cholesterol in the normal range and blood sugar level without medication of 36. I am fitter than I was at 17 albeit heavier. Diabetes has changed my life, but in many ways for the better, I never would of cycled 116 miles a year ago, it was the kick up the bum I needed. It's not easy but a few tweaks to the diet and upping your exercise will make the world of difference. It's not a diet its a lifestyle change and one I'm glad I made.

What's next well having done a 100 miles in a day I though next year how about 416 miles in five days! Will keep you updated!

Thanks type2 diabetes

All spelling mistakes are there to make you laugh and work to understand

Attachments

• IMG-20240619-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20240619-WA0008.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240619_161321_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20240619_161321_Strava.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Many congratulations, and an inspiration

Many congratulations, not just on the ride in what sounds like pretty challenging conditions, but also your amazing journey with diabetes. It was really great reading your account and I am sure it will motivate others. Good luck on your continuing journey and particularly your next challenge!!

Well done you and I am sure your Dad would be immensely proud of you!

Blooming great - well done you!

Because of other reasons very near to my heart (ie my lovely husband's diagnosis of prostate cancer 20+ years ago - total prostatectomy op followed by 33 sessions of radiotherapy cos they missed a bit, and PSA since then being 'undetectable') so since then we've both been members of a local prostate cancer charity, hence I'm always very very keen to get any bloke aged 50+ to get themselves at least bi-ennial PSA blood tests - I also have to add that should you happen to have this cancer 'in your family' OR any afro caribbean ancestry - 40+ or even younger. Since you haven't mentioned 'why' this particular choice of beneficiary I'm afraid I'm being cheeky and taking the opportunity to once again publicise 'the cause'. A LOT of chaps 'only come for a test cos my wife told me to' is still huge - and undiagnosed men still die of or with it every 45 minutes in the UK. More like every 7 minutes worldwide. Dire - and STILL no UK wide NHS screening programme.

(Time to lobby all the new MPs ....... :D )

Blooming great - well done you!

Because of other reasons very near to my heart (ie my lovely husband's diagnosis of prostate cancer 20+ years ago - total prostatectomy op followed by 33 sessions of radiotherapy cos they missed a bit, and PSA since then being 'undetectable') so since then we've both been members of a local prostate cancer charity, hence I'm always very very keen to get any bloke aged 50+ to get themselves at least bi-ennial PSA blood tests - I also have to add that should you happen to have this cancer 'in your family' OR any afro caribbean ancestry - 40+ or even younger. Since you haven't mentioned 'why' this particular choice of beneficiary I'm afraid I'm being cheeky and taking the opportunity to once again publicise 'the cause'. A LOT of chaps 'only come for a test cos my wife told me to' is still huge - and undiagnosed men still die of or with it every 45 minutes in the UK. More like every 7 minutes worldwide. Dire - and STILL no UK wide NHS screening programme.

(Time to lobby all the new MPs ....... :D )
Must get kne keep meaning to mention it to the quack

What's next well having done a 100 miles in a day I though next year how about 416 miles in five days! Will keep you updated!
Well done @Robbie bobidy, type 2 fun at its best to start with from the sounds of it 🙂

I look forward to hearing the prep and seeing the result of the 416 miles in five days challenge, and hope that in the meantime you'll continue to ride (even if it's not 100 miles/day!) - there are other interesting challenges which may help with motivation, for example the British Cycle Quest (https://www.cyclinguk.org/british-cycle-quest) or the thing I started doing during lockdown - ticking off Veloviewer tiles (https://blog.veloviewer.com/veloviewer-explorer-score-and-max-square/, https://rideeverytile.com/, etc.)

Hi everyone

It's taken me a while to get back on here and update finally had the time this morning!

Earlier in the week of the 15th we made the difficult decision to change the route so what originally was planned to be a ride from Hastings to Bournemouth instead became a round trip to Worthing.

We set off at 5am in the morning into a slight headwind but the weather was clear (that would change) and made good progress reaching lewes at just before 8am for our first stop. At 30 miles in. As we left lewes the heavens opened and it wouldn't stop raining until we reached Worthing at around 11 o clock. It became clear we had made the right decision to turn the ride into a round trip as we hit Brighton seafront. We saw the heaviest downpours of the day, coupled with winds of up to 45mph this was then improved further by driving rain which turned to hail! I honestly belive my dearly departed father was laughing at me from on high, he did have a wicked sense of humour!

At Worthing I thought to hell with the diabetes and weighloss and tucked into a full English breakfast l, sweets and lots of coffee. At 12pm we started our journey back to hastings. Suddenly the sky brightened the clouds cleared, and the rain that had been trying to kill me for 40 miles seemed to want to help us. We flew along brighton seafront at 20 mph, and what had taken us close to two hours to cover on the way out took a little over an hour to cover on the way back. We cycled to lewes non-stop (other than a pee on a bush moment) and had a quick break before heading off towards Heathfield.

Nick my guide and constant companion on the trip had planned the route on strava and we then came across one of his "challenging hills" a short burst up what felt like after 70 miles the start of mount everest l! I did remember to thank him later! However I made it and after a constant climb of about 3 miles we reached the 92 mile mark in Heathfield l, where ibdid enjoy my first full fat coca cola on 6 months (note it wss very sweet).

Then came the cuckhoo trail all downhill and great fun l....unless you get a puncture l, I got a puncture! Nick, the mechanic, now fixed it, we had another innertube we wouldn't need we said, 5 minutes later having left the cuckhoo trail l, I got another puncture! 5 minutes later! Mile 97 once again dad was laughing at me and I imagine at this point so was gran and mum! Having realised at this point we also had the wrong size innertube for the bike, Nick the mechanic somehow once again got my bike working how I don't know but I was told to go careful on it l, why not sure but I did immediately hitting a pothole at 15mph but thankfully with no puncture to follow

My bike at this stage was beginning to struggle the gears were now not changing smoothly, and my crank was making a lovely creaking sound each time I pedalled as we passed 100 miles I wont lie a few tears passed my eyes being a real man I of course said this was due to a fly entering my eye, but in truth it was 6 months of hard work coming to fruition. We reached hastings pier at 1845 and without the punctures would have been there by 1745.

In January i was 22 stone 12 pounds had high cholesterol, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. 6 months later I am 17st 12lbs have normal blood pressure, cholesterol in the normal range and blood sugar level without medication of 36. I am fitter than I was at 17 albeit heavier. Diabetes has changed my life, but in many ways for the better, I never would of cycled 116 miles a year ago, it was the kick up the bum I needed. It's not easy but a few tweaks to the diet and upping your exercise will make the world of difference. It's not a diet its a lifestyle change and one I'm glad I made.

Thanks type2 diabetes

Very well done!

Hi everyone

Thanks type2 diabetes

Fantastic: great effort! Real men do cry: practise by watching 'The Railway Children' ("Daddy! My Daddy!"), or the 'John' scene in 'Yesterday' 😳

Back