I can do this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markmids

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Morning Guys
So back in December I posted about my high blood sugar and how Novomix 30 wasn't working, I was hovering in the rage of 17 and 24 BS, I phoned the doctor and he said up the dose another 4 units which I did but nothing! So I decided to make some changes to my lifestyle as I don't want to keep using the Insulin, so I ditched it along with Cigarettes , Beer and Bread and obviously sugar! It's been 4 weeks now and I feel amazing! No numb feet, lots of energy and no blured vision, my blood sugar still highish between 10 and 12 but a lot better than it was, My Hba1c in November was 108 and as of yesterday it was 96, I know is high but better! How many Carbs a day should I be looking at, and how many calories?
Thanks for reading

Morning Guys
So back in December I posted about my high blood sugar and how Novomix 30 wasn't working, I was hovering in the rage of 17 and 24 BS, I phoned the doctor and he said up the dose another 4 units which I did but nothing! So I decided to make some changes to my lifestyle as I don't want to keep using the Insulin, so I ditched it along with Cigarettes , Beer and Bread and obviously sugar! It's been 4 weeks now and I feel amazing! No numb feet, lots of energy and no blured vision, my blood sugar still highish between 10 and 12 but a lot better than it was, My Hba1c in November was 108 and as of yesterday it was 96, I know is high but better! How many Carbs a day should I be looking at, and how many calories?
Thanks for reading

I went < 50g of carbs and around 1000 calories for three months to lose weight and get blood sugar to 36.
I sometimes go up to 100g of carbs a day these days and more calories, but not huge amounts more - I don't seem to need to eat much these days.

Morning Guys
Thanks for reading
As you are taking insulin your carb intake has to be balanced with your insulin dose.
The normal advice for those Type 2 but not on insulin would not necessarily apply to you. You should have been given some guidance from your Diabetic nurse about how much carbs you should have with the particular insulin or some advise on adjusting according to blood glucose levels.

Morning Guys
Thanks for reading
Well done on making those positive changes!

It will take a little while before they reflect into a1c as the a1c is a measure of blood sugars over the last 3 month

As you’re on insulin, you should reduce your carbs gradually so that your Novomix can be adjusted too. If you don’t do that, you risk a bad hypo. Speak to your nurse to get advice.

As you’re on insulin, you should reduce your carbs gradually so that your Novomix can be adjusted too. If you don’t do that, you risk a bad hypo. Speak to your nurse to get advice.
I think the OP has stopped taking the insulin, which I have to say is a little concerning when levels are this high. See the highlighted part of their sentence below...
So I decided to make some changes to my lifestyle as I don't want to keep using the Insulin, so I ditched it along with Cigarettes , Beer and Bread and obviously sugar!

@Markmids Good on you taking some positive steps with your diet and lifestyle, but do keep a close eye on your BG levels even though you are no longer taking the insulin. You might also need to cut down on pasta and rice and potatoes and breakfast cereals too, but you have certainly made a great start, so keep at it and let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back