I anticipate post-remission struggles

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhtyler

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Truth in advertising: My medical degree is from Google. Onward...Even if I reverse, and manage remission I have three boogeymen in my path: 1. I must maintain weight loss. 2. I must overcome higher than normal skeletal muscle insulin resistance. 3. I must overcome damage to the bloodstream/skeletal muscle pathway damaged by T2D.

I'm pretty good at maintaining weight loss. I used to weight nearly 300 Lbs. I took off 80 Lbs, and over 7 years and only went back up 25 Lbs in that period. I feel ready for the challenge.

Aerobic and resistance training can partially overcome higher skeletal muscle insulin resistance, and my hope is that building muscle mass will partially overcome pathway damage along with skeletal insulin resistance. Can the glucose pathway repair over time with remission? As far as I can tell, no research has been done on that.

I could add a 4th issue and point out that I'll have to be really nice to my pancreas going forward, and never take it for granted.

So it's clear to me: remission doesn't mean normal...exactly, it means that you're non-diabetic and free from future negatives like going blind, and losing limbs. That's still a pretty good deal. I soldier on.

As regards maintaining my weight when I hit my target I have a plan, though I won't know how well it works for years.

I intend to weigh myself most mornings, then average the weight measurements over the week to minimise the effect of changes in water weight in the measurement. I'll monitor changes in average body weight from week to week, and make small general changes to my diet if my weight is rising. If my weight rises above 1Kg over my target I intend to go on a weight loss diet until I bring it down to 1Kg below my target. My approach to weight loss at present is to exclude high calorie meals entirely and to eat a fixed number of particularly low calorie meals. My lowest calorie lunch option for example is vegetable soup made from a packet of pre-prepared chopped vegetables from the supermarket, with a chicken 'stock pot'. (I think you'd call it bouillon in the US). 56 calories per bowl. I usually eat it with some turkey on a bit of bread with light mayo. When I want to increase my rate of weight loss I have more 'soup days' in the coming week. Similarly I have a low calorie breakfast option. My target weight is well below Roy Taylor's 'magic' 15Kg threshold, so keeping my weight within +/- 1Kg of my target weight should have no ill effects. That's the plan - hopefully I'll be able to stick to it.

As regards maintaining my weight when I hit my target I have a plan, though I won't know how well it works for years.

I intend to weigh myself most mornings, then average the weight measurements over the week to minimise the effect of changes in water weight in the measurement. I'll monitor changes in average body weight from week to week, and make small general changes to my diet if my weight is rising. If my weight rises above 1Kg over my target I intend to go on a weight loss diet until I bring it down to 1Kg below my target. My approach to weight loss at present is to exclude high calorie meals entirely and to eat a fixed number of particularly low calorie meals. My lowest calorie lunch option for example is vegetable soup made from a packet of pre-prepared chopped vegetables from the supermarket, with a chicken 'stock pot'. (I think you'd call it bouillon in the US). 56 calories per bowl. I usually eat it with some turkey on a bit of bread with light mayo. When I want to increase my rate of weight loss I have more 'soup days' in the coming week. Similarly I have a low calorie breakfast option. My target weight is well below Roy Taylor's 'magic' 15Kg threshold, so keeping my weight within +/- 1Kg of my target weight should have no ill effects. That's the plan - hopefully I'll be able to stick to it.
"chicken 'stock pot' ....bouillon"
Actually, we call it both. Right now I'm wearing a sweater, and you might call it a jumper, but my Wife calls it a jersey. Ain't English wonderful? As for your plan, I can only say that Roy Taylor would be proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back