I am on Victoza and?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolphin5star

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi to all,

I am a type 2 diabetic of 12 years I am currently doing the diabetes and me course 2nd part tomoz I can't wait but why in all this world send me on a diabetes course after 12 years of diagnosis with no help any wonder I am on Victoza daily injections cus none of the meds suited me at all.

It was me answering all the questions last week it was cool..... wonder what tomoz will be like.
If I contact hosp will they send me a diabetes monitor out cus I've lost mine before xmas.
Can't wait to be part of this forum n membership next week.

Dolphin5star.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Pull up a seat and get comfy.

Welcome to the forum Dolphin5star. Better late than never to get on an education course. Perhaps let others offer some answers tomorrow?

Welcome dolphin star, hope tomorrow is useful for you. Hopefully, even after 12 years you will be able to pick up something extra. 🙂

Hi Dolphin5star, welcome to the forum 🙂 Hope the course goes well, let us know how you get on and if you learn anything new! 🙂

Tsk - only 12 years? I'd been T1 for over 30 when I got a place on a course that I'd been asking to go on for at least 5 years, but neither of the areas I live in, ran them at the time.

And that's why you haven't been given one!

However I jokingly said in my comments at the end of it (ie feedback for the Ebenezer Scrooge and his mates at the Health Authority, the purseholders to see if it was worth carrying on with it) that I wondered now how the hell I was still alive - and with everything working fine - without it!)

There definitely were things that I learned and also things that I and other 'old uns' could endorse to the newer ones there as being damn good ways of dealing with whatever. And daft things too - eg 3 Rowntrees Fruit Pastilles (the size in tubes of them) =10g carb and dead easy to carry and eat, if you are a jogger/runner. Never thought of them as a mild hypo remedy before. Nice!

One lady, not as old as me, diabetic as a child had been forcibly banned from carb counting as a young adult by a DSN at the hospital. Consequently she was absolutely terrified by this apparent U turn by the NHS. I'd apparently met the same woman cos she had told me exactly the same in 1998. However, being 48, not 18 - I just said Ah, that must be new - righto then - and totally ignored her. The DSNs running the course couldn't believe it but had to, since there were two of us. Unfortunately neither of us could remember her name!

And so - even if it happens that you learn absolutely nowt - you could be instrumental in helping another Diabetic, couldn't you? Just by asking 'awkward' LOL questions! So it WILL be worthwhile!

Hi Thanks for info,

Yes but I think as soon as one is diagnosed they should be sent stright on a course.
Weather type 2 or 1 it's logical get my thinking.
It would be much easier to manage especially with the amount of health probs I have I would have rather had just one thing than the amount I have cus it just stresses me out goods style

Dolphin5star.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are even less courses around for Type 2!
We have a 3 session course here in fife-scotland, and i am waiting for a date. You can take someone with you

Hi dolphin5star

Hi i went on the 2nd part of course was all about eating healthily portion control ect.
I asked which fruits I can have she said all of them until I said even in a Smoothie.
Lorna. Said no not at all cus when all mixed up its just sugar so she's telling me the Smoothie Maker I got for Christmas I cannot use to make soups n smoothies.
Now this is not fair I am going to ask my GP weds see what he says.

Dolphin5star.

Hi forgot to ask how do I become a Member.
Your 'title' depends on the number of posts you have made - you are now a 'Member' 🙂 Fruit smoothies are out, but I don't think there is anything wrong with soups, as long as they are not high carb 🙂 Also, berries are better than, say, bananas - it's worth getting a book that shows the GI (Glycaemic Index) of foods for comparison - high GI = fast absorption of sugars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back