I am confused about levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had my blood glucose intolereance test yesterday morning and have to wait a week for the results. In the meantime i have been testing myself with my home monitor and today's readings are as follows:-

6.5 fasting
5.1 before evening meal
7.1 after 2 hours of eating evening meal
have not tested for bedtime as yet

What does anybody make of these readings? For the past week or so my morning readings have been just above 7 but throughout the day normal readings, i just don't get it - am i just trying to deny to myself that i may have diabetes? i will know more when i get my results next Friday but all this is doing my head in!

your fasting level does sound a little high but the best thing to do is just wait for your results and try not to worry about it.

If you are diabetic it sounds like youve caught it very early and it's likely that you'll be able to manage your levels just by making small changes, so don't panic.

I agree with Katie.

Also if you think of any questions you want to ask when you get your results, write them down and ask.

Hi Carina, I don't see whay you need to wait a week for the result of your test - I thought it was just a fingerprick after drinking the glucose drink (I may be completely wrong!) - seems cruel to keep you in the dark for a week!

The numbers you report are good and as others have said if you do prove to be diabetic it is likely that you will only need to make minor adjustments - better diet and more activity - to keep it well under control. Hope all goes well, do not worry yourself about the test!🙂

The results are usually venous blood so it will be waiting for the lab to get back with the results. Your home tests look pretty good, if your fastings have been above 7 then that is slightly high. I suspect because your results are borderline that is why you have had a GTT.

Your results sound good but the fasting is a little bit high.

Also, you would need to tell us what you had for your evening meal because if you didn't have any - or very little - carbohydrate then your blood glucose levels wouldn't go up much even if you were diabetic.

In my opinion, diet is the most important thing that you should concentrate on if the GP tells you that you are in fact diabetic. Diet is far more powerful than the tablets and exercise in my experience.

Best wishes - John

...In my opinion, diet is the most important thing that you should concentrate on if the GP tells you that you are in fact diabetic. Diet is far more powerful than the tablets and exercise in my experience.

Best wishes - John

Diet is extremely important, I agree, but I think that regular exercise helps give more flexibility in diet, so if it is possible it needs to be made an important part of your routine. Exercise also has many other benefits, in addition to helping keep blood sugar levels under control!🙂

Diet is extremely important, I agree, but I think that regular exercise helps give more flexibility in diet, so if it is possible it needs to be made an important part of your routine. Exercise also has many other benefits, in addition to helping keep blood sugar levels under control!🙂

I agree, exercise is very important, as well as diet. You may be able to gain great control with just changes to diet, but exercise is necessary if you want to stay healthy generally and as diabetics we really need to give ourselves the best chance of remaining healthy in every way! not just good glycemic control.

I had my blood glucose intolereance test yesterday morning and have to wait a week for the results. In the meantime i have been testing myself with my home monitor and today's readings are as follows:-

6.5 fasting
5.1 before evening meal
7.1 after 2 hours of eating evening meal
have not tested for bedtime as yet

What does anybody make of these readings? For the past week or so my morning readings have been just above 7 but throughout the day normal readings, i just don't get it - am i just trying to deny to myself that i may have diabetes? i will know more when i get my results next Friday but all this is doing my head in!

Dear carina62,

As others have said, your fasting level is on the high side. Having a level 2mmol/L after 2 hours above the pre-meal level is also not good. A non-diabetic will be back to normal (pre-meal level) 2 hours after the meal, so if you are not diabetic yet - you are well on the way - sorry! (Just my opinion)

Regards Dodger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back