I am an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

margie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was really worried tonight my ketones were reading the max on the dip stick, but my actual BM was not too high and I had no DKA symptoms.

I told OH I needed to see someone - he asked why (I've only been diabetic for 14 years).

Because I didn't have the DKA symptoms I didn't want to go to A&E if I didn't need to. Rang the drop in centre to ask if they could check ketones in my blood - they said they could but actually the couldn't......

Anyway the urine PH was normal despite massive ketones though they had dropped by then - possibly because I had taken extra with my evening meal.
Dr couldn't understand the figures.

Anyway he said he thought I would be OK to just drink loads of water given ph etc were OK.

When I got home - I went to do my background dose and discovered that I hadn't taken the whole dose last night (the cartridge had run out mid injection) I have never done that before - I must have been distracted I normally check. So I am an idiot - I am guessing that the extra insulin I took at lunch and dinner offset things - and I have taken some more now - as it it up in the 20s. At least that is part of the puzzle solved.

Last edited:
I don't think you are an idiot. You just had a minor blip. I'm glad you got it al sorted.

I'm on tablets, and with a rising six running round the house. Sometimes I get distracted with everything going on round me and forget to take take my pills. I think many peope do this from time to time, you knew what to do to get it sorted.

I agree with Caroline dont be to hard on yourself your far from an idiot,, theres been times in the past I have totally forgotton to take my pills for the whole day and not realised until it was bed time.After all it is your health margie if you felt the need to get checked it was peace of mind for you then as you found out either way if you had ketones or not.

Thank you Caroline and Steff.

I managed via EMIS to make an appointment with one of the GPs in my surgery. It will be this afternoon. I will try and get some blood ketone strips (don't think they like giving them out), and also explain what happened for when they get the note from the walk in centre which might cause panic to ensue.

I managed via EMIS to make an appointment with one of the GPs in my surgery. It will be this afternoon. I will try and get some blood ketone strips (don't think they like giving them out), and also explain what happened for when they get the note from the walk in centre which might cause panic to ensue.

You are welcome.

The fact you were worried enough to go get help should be reason enough for you to have the test strips. If you have the tools to help you keep an eye on things and keep better control means it is cheaper for them in the long run as you are less likely to get ill or complications!

Let us know how you get on

No problems hun

Keep us posted with how it went today x

you are a type one and are entitled to strips, end of!

do you hae an optium exceed meter?, this reads the blood ketone strips, you should be able to get one from your dsn no bother. i have this one for ketone testing only. Last year I had a few problems with this meter, but the company were great and kept replacing them, I have 2 spare now :D

Ok so when I went to bed last night the ketones and cleared but they were there this morning in abundance.

I managed to speak to the DSN rang up, then e-mailed rang again and asked to read the e-mail. She said they could be fasting ketones, she also said its a measure of 6 hours previously. So I'm guessing that they would be from the period last night when my background had run out. They have dropped considerably now. I will e-mail at lunch and see if we need to do anything more.

She said the GP should give me the test strips I do have the Optium Xceed, but if not to come down to the centre and either she or one of the other nurses will give me some.

I think I tempted fate after the last post my ketones and BM decided to climb again.

I ended up infecting so much extra at lunch to bring down levels and allow for the fact that I seem to have an infection - I am all hoarse.

Saw GP this evening and got the ketone strips plus anti-biotics to be on the safe side as my throat looks very red. So hopefully I will soon be on the mend and I won't have so much see sawing of ketones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back