I’m in shock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Some of you know I have tummy troubles ( diverticulitis, partially obstructed small intestine due to adhesions, gastric dumping syndrome and the fact I don’t have a pancreas so don’t produce any digestive enzymes) and am going through a bit of a rough patch at the moment. BGs been higher than normal and taking forever to drop. Just got home from a short break where I’ve had a lot of pain, not sure which “complaint” is causing the pain but I’m guessing either diverticulitis or blocked bowel. Already had to have a correction this morning, which is something I don’t tend to do as I can drop like a stone, as my BGs were still rising three hours after two small, thin slices of toast. Had a chicken Caesar wrap on the train and had half a pack of crisps at 1.30, didn’t pre bolus as I was starved! BGs 8.1.All carefully carb counted. 7 units of bolus. Got home and put the kettle on and had a ginger nut ( 9 grms carbs no bolus as under 10grms) as I felt sickly, again. Felt weary and dozed off for a few minutes. Woke, and checked my Libre app! 2.5 hours after eating and injecting 17.7 arrow going up. Checked meter 17! I have never, ever knowingly been that high. Something definitely going on inside of me, an infection I suspect. If it carries on I’ll be calling GP tomorrow first thing.
**edited to say meter is about 5 mins fast.

Attachments

• IMG_3534.png
    IMG_3534.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3535.jpeg
    IMG_3535.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 3
Bowel problems are notoriously difficult to control. I hope you soon feel better. i cant comment as not got a clue on Insulin etc .
All ill see is I hear ya snd hope you feel better soon.

You’ve probably done this @eggyg , but have you swapped to a new cartridge just in case you fried your insulin at some point on your trip?

You’ve probably done this @eggyg , but have you swapped to a new cartridge just in case you fried your insulin at some point on your trip?
I did wonder, but we’ve been in Manchester! I’ll try it now.

I’ve got a brand new cartridge out of the fridge. I’m not chancing the spare I took with me. I’ve done a conservative two unit correction. It went up to 18.4 now back to 17.7, meter 15.5. I’ve just hunted out my keytone meter, strips are 3.5 years out of date. 😱 It won’t work, checked the battery it’s fine. Fingers crossed the correction and new insulin will work.

Attachments

• IMG_3538.png
    IMG_3538.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 2
Maybe it got too cold,:rofl: this is a British summer, after all!
Seriously, I hope you get sorted and soon.
British summer did make me laugh

Even more shocked you've never seen a 17 before @eggyg

Hope things settle down for you mate, no better tomorrow ring gp.
I honestly haven’t, once saw 16 many moons ago one Christmas Day when I was just on Metformin. I rarely go over 10 normally but the last few days have been unprecedented. The thing I worry about is it isn’t moving. Two units of fresh NovoNotSoRapid an hour ago and still 17.6!

Sorry you have had "issues" today @eggyg
As you are an "old hand at this", I probably don't need to ask but, hey ho why not?
Have you checked that reading with a finger prick?
Libre have a tendency to over-egg (pump unintended) highs. It is possible you have not achieved a PW (Personal Worst).
Take care.

It’s on the move at last!

Give it time @eggyg I find corrections take longer to work on high levels so don’t be tempted to add anymore insulin.

To me, it looks like a bolus issue - degraded insulin, poor absorption in the place you injected, leakage, etc.

Sorry you have had "issues" today @eggyg
As you are an "old hand at this", I probably don't need to ask but, hey ho why not?
Have you checked that reading with a finger prick?
Libre have a tendency to over-egg (pump unintended) highs. It is possible you have not achieved a PW (Personal Worst).
Take care.
About 20 times! 😱

Give it time @eggyg I find corrections take longer to work on high levels so don’t be tempted to add anymore insulin.

To me, it looks like a bolus issue - degraded insulin, poor absorption in the place you injected, leakage, etc.
I changed my cartridge for the correction. Going to have, when I stop feeling so rubbish, just protein for my tea tonight. It’s been a problem for a few days now as I’ve not been well.

I changed my cartridge for the correction. Going to have, when I stop feeling so rubbish, just protein for my tea tonight. It’s been a problem for a few days now as I’ve not been well.

I hope you feel better soon @eggyg Diabetes is extra-annoying when you’re ill and don’t feel like dealing with its silliness.

I honestly haven’t, once saw 16 many moons ago one Christmas Day when I was just on Metformin. I rarely go over 10 normally but the last few days have been unprecedented. The thing I worry about is it isn’t moving. Two units of fresh NovoNotSoRapid an hour ago and still 17.6!

Well that's very impressive to rarely go over 10 @eggyg

All this may well be down to you feeling crap, know when I'm unwell my basal rates can double, even then corrections might be needed. Take care.

I know it is an obvious question but you did remember to take your morning Levemir didn't you?

I have to say I am often amazed by your levels being so stable and I do often wonder if your remaining bit of pancreas has been helping out a little to round off the peaks. Just wondering, if this wasn't a missed basal or compromised NR, if this bout of illness has changed things. Considering you have been ill numerous times before and not hit 17 it seems odd for it to happen now unless something has changed.

Such a shame that your illness spoiled your weekend away. Especially when it was a special celebration. Hope you are feeling better today and things have calmed down with your levels.... I am yet to catch up with the waking thread... but guessing there will be an update there.
Sending (((HUGS)))

I know it is an obvious question but you did remember to take your morning Levemir didn't you?

I have to say I am often amazed by your levels being so stable and I do often wonder if your remaining bit of pancreas has been helping out a little to round off the peaks. Just wondering, if this wasn't a missed basal or compromised NR, if this bout of illness has changed things. Considering you have been ill numerous times before and not hit 17 it seems odd for it to happen now unless something has changed.

Such a shame that your illness spoiled your weekend away. Especially when it was a special celebration. Hope you are feeling better today and things have calmed down with your levels.... I am yet to catch up with the waking thread... but guessing there will be an update there.
Sending (((HUGS)))
That was the third thing I checked after checking my meter and bolus. I changed my NovoRapid cartridge before doing the correction. Eventually came down to just over 6 before bed. Had a slice of toast. 10pm Went up to nearly 12 between 1/2am and stayed over 10 until about 5am. Woke on 7.8, took over an hour to get to 7.1 and I had to eat as I was starving and needed to get on with my day.
Lunch three hours ago, usual half sandwich and crisps and I’ve got this! I feel loads better, no pain today but something isn’t right. You’re correct I am usually steady as a rock, the odd low if I’m out walking, the odd highs if I’ve been naughty but not for long. These last three days are very unusual but I did feel pretty ropey. I often wonder as I’m not a “ real” Type 1 ie not autoimmune, that’s why I am so well controlled ( usually). It’s a mystery and I don’t like mysteries and I definitely don’t like change!
Maybe change basal cartridge.

Attachments

• IMG_3543.png
    IMG_3543.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back