Hypothyroidism

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorzelGummidge

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Rang the hospital today to find out my HbA1c results from Tuesday, and now my nurse says it looks like I have hypothyroidism and need to go on more medication. My mother has an underactive thyroid so I wouldn't be surprised if I'd inherited that along with high cholsterol.

Does anyone else have an underactive thyroid? Is it generally corrected once you go on medication or is it something that gets worse over time?

Hiya,
what happens is, you are started on a low dose of thyroxin. then tested again aprox 6 weeks later to find what your levels are this continues until the right dose is found for you. Then it's a yearly check unless symptoms appear again. Dose can go up or down durring your life time.
Mine was stable for many years then 2 years ago started to act like a yoyo. Now I am settled on a much lower dose and feel fine.
Hope that helps you.

Sue

hey

i have a two systs sitting on my tyroid glande and have a swollen neck, i had went to the doctor 4 yrs ago to get it cheked and wen i got the blood test they found that my blood sugars were high and thats how i got diagnosed wif diabetes. the doctors said from then that i would have tyroid problems within 5 yrs and this is 4 yrs later.

im goin in for an operation soon to get the two systs removed and part of the tyroid gland removed so hopefully they say i wont have any tyroid problems.

fingers crossed cause i heard its harder to control ur diabetes wen u have tyroid... dont know if this is true or not.

hope u get everythin sorted 🙂 x

Hi
hypothyroid too. Seems stable after getting the thyroxine dose correct.
It seems quite common with diabetes.

Hope your op goes well

Hypothyroidism / Hyperthyroidism - as confusing as hypo / hyperglycaemia?

Hypothyroidism = underactive thyroid gland; treated with thyroxine tablets; may have swollen thyroid gland in neck / goitre; associated with autoimmune diseases, including Type 1 diabetes, also Turner's Syndrome and Downs Syndrome; causes body functions to slow down, leading to (some or all of the following symptoms) weight gain, tiredness / fatigue, dry skin & hair, feeling cold, constipation etc.

Hyperthyroidism (also called tyrotoxicosis) = overactive thyroid gland; autoimmune disease; most common cause is Graves disease, hyperthyroidism treated by carbimazole to reduce thyroxine production, radioactivity or surgery to remove part of thyroid gland (but may need thyroxine tablets to correct if too much is removed);
causes body function to speed up, leading to (some or all of the following symptoms): restlessness, irritability, poor sleep, loss of weight, despite increased appetite, hand tremors, heart palpitations, sweating, dislike of heat, increased thirt, needing to pass faeces more often, shortness of breath, itchy skin, thinning hair, tiredness, muscle weakness, lighter or less frequent periods (if you have them!), eye problems (with Graves disease), may cause swollen neck / goitre

(Just to confuse - goitre (swelling at front of neck) can also be caused by lack of iodine in diet eg called "Derbyshire neck" - first identified in 18th century, before improved transport links brought more fish / seafood in diet, and before iodine was added to drinking water and salt.)

Hi, I've hypothyroidism too, once I was prescribed the dose I needed at the time, i lost a bit of weight and didn't feel so exhausted (i actually thought at the time it was all my diabetes making me feel that tired!). I have blood tests 3 or four times a year, usually get all the tests like HbA1c done at the same time too, the dose will be adjusted accordingly. I too was told by my then GP that it was likely as I am "diabetic". Am waiting for the day when a doc says "it's because your diabetic" and he/she said it because I'd just won the Lottery! lol

My Mum has this and I did wonder if I had it so I got a blood test done at Uni. Never actually got the results back but the doctor said no problems. However this was 3 years ago, before I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

So the fact that Mum has it and it is associated with Diabetes, wondering if it is worth asking my GP or DSN about it and whether its worth testing for it again, making sure I actually get some results this time. 🙂

Hi Worzel, it looks as if I'm following you on this one. My last blood tests (2 months ago) showed thyroid "anomolies" (just love it when they use that term, don't you?) and the Consultant asked my surgery to monitor it saying he would put me on Thyroxine if it showed the same next time. "Next time" was Tues this week and I see the DN on Wed next just before I see the Consultant again on Thurs next week (snow permitting).

I am glad you asked this question as the replies you've had explains things for me too.

All the best,

Hypothyroidism = underactive thyroid gland; treated with thyroxine tablets; may have swollen thyroid gland in neck / goitre; associated with autoimmune diseases, including Type 1 diabetes, also Turner's Syndrome and Downs Syndrome; causes body functions to slow down, leading to (some or all of the following symptoms) weight gain, tiredness / fatigue, dry skin & hair, feeling cold, constipation etc.

Hyperthyroidism (also called tyrotoxicosis) = overactive thyroid gland; autoimmune disease; most common cause is Graves disease, hyperthyroidism treated by carbimazole to reduce thyroxine production, radioactivity or surgery to remove part of thyroid gland (but may need thyroxine tablets to correct if too much is removed);
causes body function to speed up, leading to (some or all of the following symptoms): restlessness, irritability, poor sleep, loss of weight, despite increased appetite, hand tremors, heart palpitations, sweating, dislike of heat, increased thirt, needing to pass faeces more often, shortness of breath, itchy skin, thinning hair, tiredness, muscle weakness, lighter or less frequent periods (if you have them!), eye problems (with Graves disease), may cause swollen neck / goitre

(Just to confuse - goitre (swelling at front of neck) can also be caused by lack of iodine in diet eg called "Derbyshire neck" - first identified in 18th century, before improved transport links brought more fish / seafood in diet, and before iodine was added to drinking water and salt.)
Dear Copepod,

That was a great reply - my son has Hyperthyroidism and now I know what it is all about, thanks

Dodger

Thanks everyone, good to know it's fairly easy to get under control. Good luck to anyone else with thyroid problems, or awaiting diagnosis. 🙂

hi

My daughter is two and a half, she was diagnosed with tye one diabetes in nov 2007, she was diagnosed with coeliac disease and an underactive thyroid in april last year, she was put on thyroxine straight away and with in days we saw a great improvement, and infact she became a different child. so yes the medication works, although it is for life, its worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back