Hypo's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've read lots of posts and understand that Hypo's are not good and to be avoided at all costs, I know they are signs of low BS levels, BUT, I would like a more definitive explaination of tell tales, if someone wouldn't mind please. For example, can type 2's have them if they are on the diet and exercise program? Do you get them if your BS level is too high? I want to educate myself more, thanks.

Hi Jimbo as far as i know diet and exercise alone type 2s cant i think the more common type 2s to get hypos have to be on certain medication i.e gliclizide, there not totally impossilbe to have but very rare i think.Symptoms or signs to look out for are sweating,confusion,shaking,paleness,fatigue,difficulty to concentrate theres proberbly more but i cant think of any right now.

Hi Jimbo.

Hypo stands for hypoglycaemia, the hypo bit meaning low. High sugar is hyperglycaemia, hyper meaning high.

FOr me, teh signs are usually a nervous feeling and weakness, with increased heart rate (which may be the apprehension) and often a hungry feeling in my stomach. I'd eat anythign and everything when I'm hypo. It can also bring on sweating, trembling and when I get really low, I start to convulse, just before passing out and fitting, which hasn't happened for years.

Rob

Hi Jimbo, Steff and Rob have covered the basics. A hypo is when your blood glucose levels fall too low - this is technically classed as under 4mmol/l.

In theory yes a d/e controlled type 2 can have them but as Steff said they are more unusual in that case.

My symptoms are shallow breathing, confusion, excessive sweating, glazed eyes. Often I feel hungry. My hands will shake too and if I go 'really' low (for me this is usually below 2.7mmol/l) I will get tingly lips.

Since being diagnosed, I have only had a handful, but then I think my average levels are still a little on the high side...

The general symptoms for me were generally feeling unwell, nausea, palpitations and laboured breathing.

I had the first one in the middle of the night when I was asleep, and it woke me up as it made me feel so dreadful...

x

It is also possible to get 'false hypos', when your body has got used to high BG levels and is now running normal ones. Also, when the BG levels drop quickly that can also have the same effect (e.g. during/after exercise).

Andy

yes but

not everyone is the same. My OH is desperately hungry when he is hyper but anti-food when low. Dont be too scared of it all - its unlikely in your case as others have said - and eating fast acting sugar and then maybe a little slower acting carb will soon put you back in track.🙂 But do let others around you know that it is IS a slight possibility. And what they can do to help is point it out to you and maybe offer a sugary drink or biscuit or just remind you that you dont "seem yourself" so you can act on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back