Hypos while walking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp00kysk311y

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve wanted to begin being more healthy, as I’ve been sick too many times recently (virus and flu in less than 2 weeks of each other). I know germs mostly caused it, but I also think that me being unable to eat proper meals (due to a severe bowel condition that affects everything when I eat).

I don’t get enough nutrients and supplements that actually stay in my body. I am going to eat more fruits and vegetables.
But I also want to start walking, but every time I did in the past, I ended up having a bad hypo. Obviously I take sweets, coke, and my injection with me, but even so, after I’ve had the hypo, I am exhausted, I can’t even think of walking back home.

I also have to deal with chronic pain so that’s also difficult.

Is there anyone with any advice on this? A way of not having hypos, and dealing with chronic pain?
I’ve tried putting the exercise thing on my pump, but it rarely does anything and I still end up with a hypo.

I just want to stop being sick all the time and especially getting this sick.

When do you put the exercise setting on your pump @sp00kysk311y ? It’s best to put a temp basal on ahead of exercise rather than when you start. You can also reduce the bolus for your preceding meal. That’s what I do. I also carry top-up snacks and glucose. Do you have the Libre? If so, set your Low alarm to 5.6. Then you can top up with glucose/carbs before you get too low.

When do you put the exercise setting on your pump @sp00kysk311y ? It’s best to put a temp basal on ahead of exercise rather than when you start. You can also reduce the bolus for your preceding meal. That’s what I do. I also carry top-up snacks and glucose. Do you have the Libre? If so, set your Low alarm to 5.6. Then you can top up with glucose/carbs before you get too low.
I normally do this before I even go out as I’m trying to move around more without my wheelchair and only my walking stick.
So I normally put it on probably 15 minutes before I leave the house.

I have dexcom g6 sensor.
Thanks for the advice. I’ll make sure to do this when I eventually start (still recovering from the sickness! Haha).

I was told to put my temp basal on an hour before exercise @sp00kysk311y Perhaps putting it on a bit earlier will help too. For some walks, I have to put my basal rate right down to 10 or 20%, so putting it on earlier and reducing it more should help too.

I have the Dexcom G7 and find it extremely accurate. I do still put my Low alert up a bit higher on walks though just so I can eat and keep a reasonable blood sugar without going down too low. I also check it lots and toss in a Dextro or sweet to keep it going along in the 6s. That way I have enough energy and know that even if it starts dropping, I have a bit of a buffer there.

I hope you feel better soon 🙂

If going to be more active than normal then normally I reduce basal rate down 2 hours before going out, even then take along carby snack to eat on way.

I find the time to reduce basal is dependent upon
- what fast acting insulin you are using. Fiasp time is less than NovoRapid time
- what is happening to your BG. A lower BG will need more "notice" of exercise and not just because I am closer to hypo. I just seen to be more sensitive to insulin when my BG is in the 5s or lower so need to suspend my basal earlier.
- when I last ate. I usually try to have no bolus on board so try not to exercise for 4 hours after eating. However, this is not always possible so I will reduce my bolus if I know I will be exercising in the next couple of hours.

Usually, I adjust my basal about 45 to 60 minutes before exercise. Two hours would definitely be too far ahead for me and 15 minutes would be too soon.

Like most things diabetic, we are different and need some trial and learning.
@sp00kysk311y you may need to persevere and find out what works for you.
I definitely find it is worth it - I feel much better after moving.
Good luck and happy walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back