Hypos in pregnancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmalou2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all!
I'm a type 1 diabetic in my first trimester and and my readings are currently running on the low side. My doctor doesn't seem to be concerned and the hypos aren't dangerously low, but one of the nurses has recently said that low readings aren't good for the baby. Does anyone else have experiences of regular 3mmol ish readings who can weigh in? Thanks in advance 🙂

Last edited:
Welcome @emmalou2 and congratulations on your pregnancy 🙂 I’ve had three pregnancies with diabetes and three healthy babies. Yes, hypos are normal in early pregnancy and they can be sudden and fierce too.

Are you on a pump or injections? Have you reduced your basal insulin? I had to reduce my basal by 25% and also reduce my meal time ratios. I also often needed some top-up carbs. Have you made similar reductions?

The main risk of hypos is you passing out or falling or having some kind of accident. Although you probably won’t totally eradicate them, they should be minimised for safety. Do you have a CGM?

I also upped my hypo stashes during pregnancy @emmalou2 I had a couple of stashes both upstairs and downstairs, and I also bought GlucoShots for their quick-actingness.

Do you have the Think Like a Pancreas book? There’s a small but interesting graph in there showing the usual insulin needs during each stage of pregnancy.

Hi Inca,
Thanks so much for getting back to me! I use MDIs and I have a Libre 2, which has been handy with the alarms definitely. I have reduced my basal insulin slightly but one unit makes a difference between hypos and running just that little bit on the high side!
I don't have the Think Like a Pancreas book but will have a look into it.
Thanks again for your reply!
Emma x

Do you not have a half unit pen? It makes such a difference when you are stuck between 2 doses and can split the difference. Which basal do you use? Some unfortunately don't have a half unit pen option but others do, so we can advise you on that.

Hi Inca,
Thanks so much for getting back to me! I use MDIs and I have a Libre 2, which has been handy with the alarms definitely. I have reduced my basal insulin slightly but one unit makes a difference between hypos and running just that little bit on the high side!
I don't have the Think Like a Pancreas book but will have a look into it.
Thanks again for your reply!
Emma x

@rebrascora said it before me - can you get a half unit pen? They’re invaluable, especially for little corrections later on.

Which insulins do you use? Have you been offered a pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back