Hypos & Bacteria Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manda

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I've had a bactera infection for the past 2 weeks and I'm waiting on test results to find out which bacteria it is and which antibiotics I'll need. Strangely, my blood sugars have been dropping lower every day.

I used to be taking 8 units of basal in the morning and 8 in the evening. Currently I'm on 3 units of basal AM & PM, with no fast acting insulin needed. I've been having hypos throughout the day and sipping orange juice, but they continue to fall. I'm just abit confused about why this is happening.. any ideas? Is the bacteria eating my glucose?! I have told the doctor about it and he didn't seem concerned.

Thanks!

Amanda

(I've had type 1 diabetes for 6 years)

Could it be affecting your absorption of food? Or has the infection made you lose weight? It might be the heat too. I’ve had to make big reductions in my insulin during this heatwave and I’ve been Type 1 for almost 30 years.

I hope your infection is sorted soon.

I've found the heat only slightly lowers my blood sugars by a unit or two - I do think it could be that I'm not absorbing glucose from my food. It's a very strange feeling reducing insulin so rapidly. Thank you!

I am surprised you are having to wait 2 weeks before getting any antibiotic treatment unless they are not sure if it is bacterial and more likely to be a yeast or viral infection.
The test results for infections are usually back within a few day. Bacteria and yeasts certainly like a glucose environment but unlikely to result in a noticeable drop in blood glucose.
I should chase up your results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back