Hypodog training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moddey

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
We've begun training our puppy with a professional dog trainer and hopefully she has the intelligence and the qualities to become a hypoalert dog. The dog that is, not the trainer 😉
If anyone is in a similar situation, I would love to discuss the training. And for anyone interested in the training in general, I will be writing a blog describing the training. It can be found at http://mmollymoddey.blogspot.com/ I've only started it, so please be patient 🙂

And Happy Mother's Day to all mummies!

Thanks Moddey, I'll be following your blog with interest! Hope the dog has the brains/instinct!🙂

Yes please 🙂 And thank you!

Ace blog! I'll have a proper read in a bit - will also give you a plug later on today 🙂 clicky linky in my sig!

Molly is the CUTEST dog ever! If you like, I can put your blog into your signature as a clickable link - just let me know how you want it to appear.

That'd be great, thanks 🙂
If you could add the URL after my description (all included below)

__
Ira, a mother of two in Finland. Our son, E, (born 7/05) was diagnosed with type 1 in Sept 2009. Training a (possible) hypo dog at http://mmollymoddey.blogspot.com/

Great, thanks 🙂

How do you go about getting a Hypoalert dog?

love the blog will read more...there is a member here who has a 'hearing dog' he might turn up later am sure he'll be interested XX

hi there we have a german sheperd dog aged 2 and half and he has not been trained but has woke me twice wen hypo ed int he night by putting his nose in my face,,apprentely we let off a almond smell that dogs can smell..of course when i told ppl dont think they actualy beleived me

Hi Moddey,

I was mentioned earlier on, just as a bit of news for everyone, Bruce (my hearing dog, trained by Hearing Dogs for Deaf People) and I passed our finals on Thursday - so the initial training journey is now complete.

Bruce is a Pointer and will be 2 at the end of the month, he has completed five months of training, his website is www.debrucie.co.uk He was bred by my partner, so I've known him since he was two hours old.

Since returning from training as a Hearing Dog, Bruce has now alerted me on more then four occasions to my levels being low, namely due to over exertion through concentration (lip reading makes my brain work they think about 20 times harder than normal, so I get fatigued quite quickly), in addition I've changed insulins (basal and bolus) in the last few months, so have been adjusting here too.

The normal alert of a sound to me from Bruce is for him to sit by me and place both front paws on my leg, he's then asked 'what is it?' and takes me to the sound.

However, when I'm having a hypo, he essentially just does what's needed to get my attention. It should be noted, until four months ago I got very few hypos and the ones I've had in the past four months have been minor. He just picks up the change in smell.

In the UK we have Assistance Dogs UK (ADUK), of which Hearing Dogs, Guide Dogs and Canine partnerships are the three largest members of the five organisations under the control of ADUK. As registered assistance dogs they and their recipients have ID cards and pretty much full access rights to travel with the recipient in their normal lives, including food shops, restaurants, the work place etc.

Hypo dogs in the UK have been trained by Cancer Dogs, however, these are not assistance dogs and as such have no rights of access that assistance dogs have.

The major difference is that cancer dogs are trained and worked in the main on their detection, not behaviour, where assistance dogs are trained for their work, in parallel with their obedience. I can take Bruce to a meeting or hospital appointment, as soon as I put his blanket down he goes to sleep, until I wake him up, shopping he doesn't pull or check out the food for himself, although in shops with mirrors he does like to stop and take a good look at the handsome pointer he sees!

I will take a closer look at your blog later on, it's certainly great to have a dog that integrates further within the family than being purely a pet. Like Hearing Dogs hypo dogs are never off duty. Guide Dogs and Dogs for the Disabled stop working as soon as their harness is removed. Hearing Dogs have to be alert to the sounds around the home, such as alarm clocks, timers, door bell, phone and most importantly smoke detectors and fire alarms and then alert me to the sounds regardless of my being awake or asleep and then tell me what the alert is. For danger sounds he lies down on the floor, he doesn't take me to where the fire is, that's too dangerous for both of us.

For phones, timers, door bells etc he takes me to the sound, so that I can respond to it.

Good luck with your training, I look forward to reading how you all get along!

Last edited:
Brilliant, I hope it all works out and is a success. Dogs are pretty smart, so can be trained to do almost anything. My neighbour had a poodle. He always knew who was at the door and if they were friendly or not. People like the postman or meter read would get a bark, but cowboy salesmen always got a snarl. The dog was loveabe and would love you to bits if you let him.

Smile4Loubie:

Have a look at Einstein's reply to the thread, his message explains a lot. I am currently living in Finland and not sure how it works in the UK. In Finland, they have only just begun training hypo dogs and you have to apply to a charity for one. You get the dog "ready", but the training costs a lot and so far I know one little boy who is having a dog trained for him.

But visit http://www.hypoalertdogs.co.uk/ , where you can find more info about hypodogs in the UK 🙂

David, thanks for the brilliant message, it was great to hear from you.
It's a very good point that hypodogs have to work 24/7 and especially if they are a family pet, too. Official guide dogs and assistance dogs have a working role and a pet role. When a pet is trained, they have to be able to work while being in the role of a pet, too. Molly, our dog, has to learn to pick up the scent even when she's playing outside with E or around him. The most difficult task, which is also one of the most important task, is the night time alerts and getting the dog to wake up when E gets his night time hypos.
I have heard of dogs running in from the yard and rush to their owner, who had no idea they were getting near hypo. These examples sound great, but I would be more than happy if Molly woke us up just once when E was dangerously low. That would make everything worthwhile 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back