Hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyzak

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Had severe Hypo last night and today as had too much insulin because it was high and i'm scared of getting another stroke, was passed out all day.GP

Struggling at the moment and causing a bit of depression, go GP appointment Monday and Diabetic Nurse on 2nd of May.

Helen

Had severe Hypo last night and today as had too much insulin because it was high and i'm scared of getting another stroke, was passed out all day.GP

Struggling at the moment and causing a bit of depression, go GP appointment Monday and Diabetic Nurse on 2nd of May.

Helen
Hi,

Are you using the freestyle libre? If so, what have you set your low alarm to?

Oh! Goodness! Going too low is more dangerous that going high. I hope you had hypo treatment with you and were able to treat it promptly.

Insulin is a very powerful substance and you have to use it carefully and conservatively and always err on the side of caution. A bad hypo puts your body under far more stress than moderately high levels. Please be careful and always err on the side of caution when calculating doses. If you are new to insulin it is important to understand that dropping your levels too fast can cause damage to your eyes. Adjusting your levels slowly and steadily down into range is far preferable than being too keen to get down to normal numbers fast. This is why HCPs normally start you on a lower dose than they expect you will need and then gradually increase it over a period of weeks to slowly bring your levels down.

So sorry to hear you have had a severe hypo @Kyzak

Did you need 3rd party help or paramedics to help you recover?

I can understand how stressful your stroke must have been, and how worried you must be about high BG levels - hopefully your GP and nurse will be able to offer you some suggestions to help you avoid such big swings in the future.

Oh! Goodness! Going too low is more dangerous that going high. I hope you had hypo treatment with you and were able to treat it promptly.

Insulin is a very powerful substance and you have to use it carefully and conservatively and always err on the side of caution. A bad hypo puts your body under far more stress than moderately high levels. Please be careful and always err on the side of caution when calculating doses. If you are new to insulin it is important to understand that dropping your levels too fast can cause damage to your eyes. Adjusting your levels slowly and steadily down into range is far preferable than being too keen to get down to normal numbers fast. This is why HCPs normally start you on a lower dose than they expect you will need and then gradually increase it over a period of weeks to slowly bring your levels down.
Thank you for this advice, makes more sense.

So sorry to hear you have had a severe hypo @Kyzak

Did you need 3rd party help or paramedics to help you recover?

I can understand how stressful your stroke must have been, and how worried you must be about high BG levels - hopefully your GP and nurse will be able to offer you some suggestions to help you avoid such big swings in the future.
My partner lucky enough was at home and check my level using my phone and it was 1.9, so he was struggling to wake me and i wasn't making any sense and sweated out the bed, he managed to get some glucose in me and I came round for about an hour, had some cereal then slept for about 5hrs straight, which is unusual as I suffer with severe Insomnia.

Hypos can be exhausting, particularly bad ones. Please ensure that you keep hypo treatments and testing kit with you at all times and check your levels if you feel even just slightly not right. Early detection and treatment is really important.

Did you not feel it coming on?

It sounds like you have Libre or other CGM. What level is your low alarm set at and did you not hear it go off?

If you drive, you may need to stop for now and inform DVLA since you have had a severe hypo where you needed assistance. If you are not getting warning signs of an impending hypo then your awareness is compromised and you could be a danger to other road users as well as yourself. This is another reason why you have to be very careful with insulin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back