Hypo Without Warning Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAREN1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
HI CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY HAVE EVER HAD A HYPO WITHOUT ANY WARNING SIGNS? TONIGHT JUST BEFORE TEA MY BG WAS 3.8 USUALLY I GET REAL WARNINGS AROUND 4.2/4.3 I FELT FINE AND NEVER FELT ANY OF THE USUAL SIGNS BUT I AM WORRIED IN CASE THIS IS GOING TO BECOME A REGULAR THING. CAN THIS BE DANGEROUS? THANKS 😱

Its not happened to me yet hun. But have been told if have really good sugars for long time and regularly round 5 then u wont be as sensitive to numbers in high 3's. Not sure as its only what my nurse has told me.

I sometimes get hypos without warning signs. Had one yesterday I think and wasn't aware of it. Was surprised to see 3.7 pop up on the blood sugar meter. Sometimes I feel them, sometimes I don't. Don't really know why.

me too im afraid, i usually get the normal warning signs when im around 4.3 but it can vary especially in the night, i have woken up and been 3.0 - always keep some lucozade in the bedroom now!

If you have been running fairly low blood glucose then hypo signs may not appear until you are below or even well below 4. I suspect that the rare occasion is not generally dangerous unless you are driving or operating machinery but if persistent hypos below 4 aren't treated you may lose hypo awareness

In the past week I've found a blood glucose of 3.7 without much warning which came as a great surprise to me as I usually start shaking round 4.1/4.2. I'd been sitting reading quietly though and only felt "odd" when I got up to go and get a drink

When first diagnosed as a Type 2 I'd been running with high glucose for quite some time so would get the shakes as I dropped below 5 - getting readings below 4 was quite a shock the first few times it happened but I am on gliclazide

I regularly have hypos without warning. I can go as low as 2.5 without any symptoms but anything below 2 makes me feel really ill. The advice I've been given is to check my bg more often and reduce both insulin injections. Haven't seen any change yet, but I am hoping.

The only times Alex hasnt felt a hypo is when he is totally engaged in something like watching a film or on wii ! Bev

I usually get warning signs but every now and then I'll get one out of the blue. the lowest I've ever measured was 1.6 and I didn't feel that at all. I think if it's happening as a 'one off' it's not necessarily dangerous beyond that one hypo but if it's a regularl thing and you're becoming hypo unaware then that would be of concern.

I dont have too many hypos but recently i find i dont get symptoms until below 3, i had one at 2.9 before tea today and just got symptoms at that number, tested straight away. Is a bit concerning for me as my numbers been high for a while so you would think i would get warnings at 4 :confused:

have been as low as 1.9 before gettings symptoms, i could understand this if i had loads of hypos and my numbers were good but believe me they are not. Yesterday was 17-22 but had 3.9 before bed, which i did have symptoms for.

I would speak to your dsn if concerned or it happens again. I have discussed mine with consultant and am in line for a pump and going on daphne soon. take care. ps i test regular, at least 8 times a day.

I dont have too many hypos but recently i find i dont get symptoms until below 3, i had one at 2.9 before tea today and just got symptoms at that number, tested straight away. Is a bit concerning for me as my numbers been high for a while so you would think i would get warnings at 4 :confused:

have been as low as 1.9 before gettings symptoms, i could understand this if i had loads of hypos and my numbers were good but believe me they are not. Yesterday was 17-22 but had 3.9 before bed, which i did have symptoms for.

I would speak to your dsn if concerned or it happens again. I have discussed mine with consultant and am in line for a pump and going on daphne soon. take care. ps i test regular, at least 8 times a day.

Don't forget that the meters do allow a margin of inaccuracy of around 1 mmol, so you may not always be as low as it appears. I can usually function perfectly OK until it drops below 3.0. I sometimes feel hypo when I'm not, and it's because I'm really hungry!

Hypo's Without Warning

Thank You All For Your Replies And Advice. I Will Speak To My Dsn If It Happens Again. Everyone On This Site Has Been So Helpful And Friendly Its Like Having Another Family Thank You All Once Again.

HI CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY HAVE EVER HAD A HYPO WITHOUT ANY WARNING SIGNS? TONIGHT JUST BEFORE TEA MY BG WAS 3.8 USUALLY I GET REAL WARNINGS AROUND 4.2/4.3 I FELT FINE AND NEVER FELT ANY OF THE USUAL SIGNS BUT I AM WORRIED IN CASE THIS IS GOING TO BECOME A REGULAR THING. CAN THIS BE DANGEROUS? THANKS 😱

hi karen i have good hypo awareness but even the best of us get the odd low one that catches us out!! i usually feel a hypo coming on and drink lucozade but ive had the odd .. um do i feel hypo or not? feeling ,and tested and been 1.3!! sometimes iam shaky when im at 4 and another time i can be below 2 and not be shaking and laughing hysterically. my moto is IF IN DOUBT TEST YOUR SUGARS!!

I often have hypos with no warning signs but also occasionally have very specific signs that I recognise as a hypo (shaking, heart racing etc). I ran my blood sugars very low whilst I was pregnancy two years ago and have had problems with lack of warning signs since then, yesterday I ate lunch at work then walked to the post office and back and only thought I would check my BS as it'd been two hours since lunch. I was shocked to see 2.8 pop up on my meter, I felt absolutely fine!

I often have hypos with no warning signs but also occasionally have very specific signs that I recognise as a hypo (shaking, heart racing etc). I ran my blood sugars very low whilst I was pregnancy two years ago and have had problems with lack of warning signs since then, yesterday I ate lunch at work then walked to the post office and back and only thought I would check my BS as it'd been two hours since lunch. I was shocked to see 2.8 pop up on my meter, I felt absolutely fine!

Allison have you tried to regain your warning signs? generally people run their blood sugars slightly higher for a while to regain them. Are you driving at the moment?

yes I've tried to regain warning signs and have run my blood sugars high for a week on several occasions but to no avail! I am driving but am very careful about testing my BS before I set off anywhere and always have something in the car to treat a hypo if I need to.

Yesterday at lunch time Alex was 28! Then 3 hours later after corrections etc he was 3.2 and hadnt even noticed!:confused:Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back