Hypo whilst driving on motorway. Any advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This was a first, and reminded me that the looping is not foolproof.

I have not had a hypo whilst driving since my first year after diagnosis. I am looping so did not expect this, but had done a check of my sensor before setting off. Too far from my junction when I felt hypo. I pick the hypos up at around 4 but knew I could not continue along the motorway. I pulled off on to the hard shoulder, turned off the engine, ate JBs and moved out of the car for a long wait.

I realised I had no idea what I should do, apart from the usual wait 45 min. I felt vulnerable and concerned about being alone in that position. Any advice?

Fortunately a rescue vehicle stopped to check I was okay, and after showing me ID, and at his suggestion me sending a photo of that, his company name and his number plate to my OH, he offered to load my car to take it off the motorway to a lay-by, where I was happy to then wait.

I hope that it never happens again, but wanted to be prepared.

Perhaps consider setting your alarm to a higher rate say 6 so you have some leeway and perhaps start your journey by eating a protein bar so it eliminates any chance of another hypo.
Hope you are feeling ok now.

Oh Wow! Sue! That must have been scary and hanging about away from the car on a freezing cold day like today for an hour would not be good either. So pleased the recovery vehicle came along and rescued you. Out of curiosity, did he charge much?
I am really not sure what else I would have done in your situation. Thankfully I can't remember the last time I drove on a motorway on my own, but I did have a hypo driving home from my sister's late one night and even just parked at the side of an ordinary road, I felt really vulnerable and did not feel at all comfortable moving into the passenger seat.... which is all quite odd because I am often out walking on my own late at night and don't feel vulnerable at all, but I was effectively trapped, so can really relate to your situation.

If i had a sensor on then i would probably have felt okay when the alarm went off, as it goes off at 5 but i up it a bit when driving long distances to 6, and so I’d have eaten something fast acting (I keep carbs opened and within reach eg sweets in drivers door) and pulled off at the next junction to look at it and see where it was headed etc. I’d only pull over onto the hard shoulder if I felt unsafe driving. Then I would have climbed out through passenger side and took the carbs and meter up the hard shoulder bank to wait until safe to continue.

Must have been scary for you @SB2015

Not to mention very annoying!

Well done for taking prompt action, and good to hear that the rescue knight in shining armour came to your aid.

I have got in the habit of setting the ‘exercise’ setting on my pump when going on a motorway drive, as I’d rather err on the side of top-of-range glucose than mid range while driving really.

This was a first, and reminded me that the looping is not foolproof.

I have not had a hypo whilst driving since my first year after diagnosis. I am looping so did not expect this, but had done a check of my sensor before setting off. Too far from my junction when I felt hypo. I pick the hypos up at around 4 but knew I could not continue along the motorway. I pulled off on to the hard shoulder, turned off the engine, ate JBs and moved out of the car for a long wait.

I realised I had no idea what I should do, apart from the usual wait 45 min. I felt vulnerable and concerned about being alone in that position. Any advice?

Fortunately a rescue vehicle stopped to check I was okay, and after showing me ID, and at his suggestion me sending a photo of that, his company name and his number plate to my OH, he offered to load my car to take it off the motorway to a lay-by, where I was happy to then wait.

I hope that it never happens again, but wanted to be prepared.

Amazing service that by recovery truck driver, can only echo what PS said above about setting low alarm higher.

Hope this will be your first & last time it happens, scary place having to pull up on hard shoulder but you did right thing getting out car & getting away from it.

Perhaps consider setting your alarm to a higher rate say 6 so you have some leeway and perhaps start your journey by eating a protein bar so it eliminates any chance of another hypo.
Hope you are feeling ok now.
Worth remembering that for most cars/mobiles and Libre 2 the Bluetooth alarm won't sound in the car when using hands-free as there can only be one Bluetooth connection with a specific device such as the phone. I wonder how many people realise that?

. Out of curiosity, did he charge much
He charged absolutely nothing. I tried very hard to persuade him to take some money, but he wouldn’t take it. He was so kind and said he could not have left me there on my own.

Thanks for the tips. I shall set a higher target for a trip on my own, and snack before I set off.

Worth remembering that for most cars/mobiles and Libre 2 the Bluetooth alarm won't sound in the car when using hands-free as there can only be one Bluetooth connection with a specific device such as the phone. I wonder how many people realise that?
That is a useful tip for those on Libre2. It was the alarm and vibration on my pump that confirmed what I had already felt. Worth each of us making sure we all know how are equipment works.

I didn’t know this but my car doesn’t have Bluetooth connections anyway. The libre alarms on my phone work fine when I’m connected to my Bluetooth headphones though, if a bit loud through the headphones.

Glad to hear you’re safe and were well looked after @SB2015!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back