Hypo this morning.... When safe to go to theGym?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hypoed this morning it was a 2.8 at first blood test two cans of funsized coke to cure would it be safe for me to go gym this afternoon?

Marc

Hi Marc,

I have always been told to make sure I am above 5 before going to gym, and always have a carb snack beforehand.

Not sure if this is just individual advice to me though, or for all.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I am having a few hypo issues after exercise at the moment - but thats just me!

I would think so Marc, just check that your levels are reasonable before you start - I usually aim for around 8 mmol/l - and have some fast acting sugar to hand. If you're doing a long workout make sure you have your testing gear and test once an hour or if you feel odd (not always obvious on a workout!). Can you pin the hypo down to anything? Do you think your basal might be too high for your current activity levels?

Hope the session goes well! 🙂

Hi Marc.

I was told also to carry a bottle of lucozade or jelly babies with me. The gym staff where i go know now about hypo's and keep a discrete eye on me. They aren't too intrusive at all - i.e they know when i am just working hard and when I sit down (which never do) jsut check i am okay. Might be worth considering as one of my hypo's came from nowhere and very quickly - luckily they fed me jelly babies and sat with me until I was okay.

Don't know if you have a sauna where you are - but jsut be careful with them too.

Thanks just it was an early morning one so I'm gonna try dropping down from 30 units of lantus to 28 and see what happens but that will be tonight. A couple of days ago I caught dawn phenomenon in full flow was woken up at 3.3mmol at 2.25am tested again at 2.40 and was 15mmol after having 3 jelly babies. So was a little worried because of my liver filling up it's sugar reserve again.

Marc

Hello marc i was told never to train under 4 mmol or over 16 mmol by the staff at my gym also i eat a banana fer energy about an hour b4 i train hopefully this might help?
Cheers Duane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back