Hypo symptoms with normal levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottwatters

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Hey folks, so I've just started with insulin pens last week, and my levels were still quite high after my initial dosage of 6 units with meals. I've bumped this up by 2 units so I've taken 8 units today at lunch as my dinner time levels were still high.

I checked just there (2hrs after finishing lunch) and my Libre said I was 5.7, and a finger prick test said I was 5.6. These are perfect right, but I'm still visibly shaky and feel a wee bit out of it.

I'm aware of 'false hypos', so is this just a case of my body getting used to normal glucose levels after a long period of being in the high range?

Yeah it sounds like you’re having false hypos. Your body will get used to it in time and it will feel okay again. It’s a bit like turning onto a 30 road after a long motorway journey, at first 30 feels so slow, but after a while 30 feels normal speed again.

Hi @scottwatters if your levels have been high for some time, it is common to get hypo symptoms at above hypo levels as you are experiencing. Yes, it is the old "false hypos".
Maybe a hint not to drop your levels too fast as that too can cause problems. I know it can feel like a constant juggle akin to Goldilocks looking for the right porridge 🙂

Its not dangerous but if its too much just go back to the 6 or maybe 7 units and ride that slope down a bit slower.
Don't be aiming for perfect right now, just aim for better and less riskier numbers. Later on will be when you are looking at fine tuning it.

Apart from that, how are you getting on?

Its not dangerous but if its too much just go back to the 6 or maybe 7 units and ride that slope down a bit slower.
Don't be aiming for perfect right now, just aim for better and less riskier numbers. Later on will be when you are looking at fine tuning it.

Apart from that, how are you getting on?
Yeah I’m going to adjust back up and make sure I’m bringing my levels down slowly rather than just in one Go. I have that mentality where I just want to get stuff done now lol

Apart from that it’s going okay. Still trying to figure it all out, especially since I’m prone to a wee snack in between! Days when I’m in the office are tricker for me, since it’s a good while between lunch and dinner, and don’t have all my usual snacks on hand :rofl:

@scottwatters just checking in and seeing how things are going with ya 🙂
Doing alright thank you! Slowly getting there with using the correct doses. Managed a pizza the other day and my levels only rose to 9.6! I’m bunged up with one of the many winter illnesses going about so my levels have been a bit up and down compared to normal but hanging in there!

Does it ever get any easier taking off the Libres? Absolutely hate the feeling of taking it off :rofl:

Doing alright thank you! Slowly getting there with using the correct doses. Managed a pizza the other day and my levels only rose to 9.6! I’m bunged up with one of the many winter illnesses going about so my levels have been a bit up and down compared to normal but hanging in there!

Does it ever get any easier taking off the Libres? Absolutely hate the feeling of taking it off :rofl:
My first one stuck really hard, now i ease them off from the edge. Baby oil is a good way to get them off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back