Hypo safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughes87

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi everyone!

I am still finding my feet after a LADA diagnosis and wondering if there is any way I can alert a family member or friend if I’m having a bad hypo other than text or call. I’m sure I read somewhere there was a app that you could check in with so they knew you were safe

That’s exactly it! Thanks so much!

To be honest, I’ve been fine for the most part. I changed my libre a couple of days ago and it is way off, I know I need to let it settle. I was showing as 8 after my dinner and I didn’t have my standard hypo symptoms, I just had the munchies but I was suspect about it… pin prick was in the 2s. Yesterdays my alarm went off while working and very quickly it was in the 2s and I struggled to get it back up, I needed so much more carbs than normal which I think a mixture of the libre issues, the sun and exercise are the issue. Anyway… work have asked me to put something in place as I’m wfh. I know the libre needs some time to settle but I spend 7-6pm on my own

What’s your Low alarm set at @Hughes87 ? I used to set mine at 5.6 to give me a much better chance to catch hypos. Of course, that doesn’t help if your Libre isn’t accurate but if you were falling fast it can’t keep up. You absolutely did the right thing finger-pricking.

What insulins are you on? It sounds like you need to reduce your doses.

I’m only on novorapid at the minute. My cpeptide is at around 250 still so they are waiting for my results to change before I need to add the 24 hour insulin.

I’ve done so many pin pricks the last couple of days, my fingers are sore haha!

I weighed my dinner within an inch of its life last night and reduced from a 1:10 ratio to 1:13 and still went low, needing another 20g of carbs.

I will give my bolus more of a change for lunch and dinner and change my alert as mine is at 4.2. That’s been ok but maybe not in heat. Really appreciate your advice 🙂

Ok, well if it were me, I’d eat the same dinner again and reduce your bolus further. I’ve halved some of mine. So you could try 1:20g or similar and see how that goes. I’ve been stunned by the effect the heat has had.

Yes, definitely change your Low alarm to 5.6. That way you’ll be forewarned and be able to look at the direction arrow, finger-prick and take any necessary action (if any). It can make a big difference.

I noticed as well my libre just didn’t record my hypo yesterday too. It looks the same as well I’m away from my phone or Bluetooth is off. Sod’s Law! Thank you for your help, really appreciate it!

Don't persevere to long with sensor if it's way out on accuracy, replace it report it & move on.

Like @Inka Have my low alarm set slightly higher, makes more sense to do so.

Also make sure you wask and thorouhly dry hands ...if hands wet when fingerprick this can give a lower reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back