Hypo, Hypo, Hypo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
For the past 3 days I have been almost continously hypo! My last 3 readings on waking are 2.3, 2.3, 2.7. I eat breakfast straight away and inject a while after when my bloods are at a normal level but am hypo again 2 hours later and evenings are much the same. I have no idea why this is happening, have reduced my levemir but has had no effect as yet. The only good thing about it is my husband has been bringing me breakfast in bed 🙂. On a serious note it is making me feel a bit off all day as if I wake up hypo I usually have a headache that I cannot shift.

When did you reduce your levemir and by how much? x

When did you reduce your levemir and by how much? x

I reduced my levemir 2 nights ago by 2 units, my DN usually says to wait for 3 days/nights before altering again?

If those were my numbers I'd suspect basal was too high, and/or I was being much more active than normal.

The 3-day period in basal adjustments helps to see that this is not 'just one of those days' but a more consistent pattern. Additionally Lantus can take a few days to settle in to a new dose. The Levemir that you are on seems to respond more or less straight away from what I've heard.

If you don't want to drop your basal again yet, you could consider knocking a couple of units off your bolus doses to reduce your insulin:carb ratio for meals. Being hypo that much for that long is no fun, quite dangerous really and will put a dent in your hypo warning signs.

Perhaps you should call your DSN to discuss it - 3 days is quite extreme!

(Any chance you could be pregnant?)

Levemir allows for instant results, but 3 days is always good to see a pattern emerging........

I say down the basal further.............seek advice from pros as first........

When do you take your levemir? Evening I suspect or do you split the dose?

This is definitely a basal thing rather than the novorapid.

I would definitely reduce the levemir more but maybe if you can't get this sorted have a think about changing the time of the levemir. You could take it at anytime of the day but always at roughly the same time. Or you could split the dose. People tend to give more in the mornings and less at bedtime, might be a way to sort it.

Obviously I am not a professional (need to point that out). 🙂

I took 2 more units off of my levemir dose last night and had some biscuits for supper even though my blood was 7, I awoke this morning at 7.3. Am hoping that this has sorted it, although currently 2.9 so haven't managed to sort the evenings yet!

I'm definitely not pregnant so nothing to do with that. I have had the past 2 weeks off work though so am more active than usual but was ok last week, I seem to get these blips every so often though.

I take my levemir as 1 dose at roughly 10.15pm each night. Not sure whether to bring the dose forward about to, say, 9pm? Probably worth a try, may speak to my DN tomorrow.

Thanks for all your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back