Hypo feelings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Does anyone else find that they have a short temper when hypo/just come up from a hypo and overreact to the smallest thing?

I went hypo during science today and when I came back up and went back to the lesson. One of the more annoying people in the class called me a not-so-nice nickname and my temper immediately went because I still felt hypo. Does anyone else find this?

I used to get angry with my wife when she was (correctly) telling me I was hypo. I'd move into full denial mode. Happily managed to get over that now.

Yes, I let out a scream of frustration yesterday when I was trying to recover from a hypo up at the stables and the horses were all demanding attention and I was trying to sweep up and manage half a dozen things at once and then I couldn't find a full pot of hypo treatment because I had already used up 2 earlier in the day and I needed another because levels hadn't come up..... I did have others but kept fishing out empty ones from my bag. Added to that my sister was there helping me and she was busy working so I didn't want to sit down and rest whilst she cracked on, so I tried to keep going, but got progressively more frustrated and annoyed until I let out a shriek to relieve the pressure. I think part of it is the adrenaline released but being unable to burn it off, it builds up. Usually, when I am on my own, I don't get annoyed or frustrated but when I feel external pressure, it builds up to a head and I want to explode.

I thought it was only me - greatly reassuring

A few weeks back, I was on holiday. My partner was driving. I was navigating. I was also googling the destination on my phone to check the opening hours.
My partner was pointing out something and asked me to take a note.
I was trying to do all this, remain calm and deal with a hypo. I failed with the keeping calm bit.

You are most certainly not alone @Lily123

Oh Yes - it was one of the main things I got - absolute fury!
When I would get the shakes and leg wobbles, sweats and dizzies and then have to get to the cupboard to get food - woe betide anyone who got in my way or even asked me anything as I was stuffing my face like some sort of crazed lunatic

Now I have myself and my diet sorted and dont get them anymore, I dont have any excuse for when I get grumpy and snappy - except for my red hair and age. Almost a pity

Does anyone else find that they have a short temper when hypo/just come up from a hypo and overreact to the smallest thing?

I went hypo during science today and when I came back up and went back to the lesson. One of the more annoying people in the class called me a not-so-nice nickname and my temper immediately went because I still felt hypo. Does anyone else find this?
Oh yes sometimes when I'm getting annoyed over a silly thing I think "hang on a minute I better check my blood suger" it also happen when super high as well

Yes. 2 yrs on and hypos still make me unreasonably irritable. I should know better, I'm old enough!

I don't need to have anything going on if someone decides to insult me. I let them know that their language is not acceptable - because it isn't. It is not unreasonable to expect normal curtesy.

I don't need to have anything going on if someone decides to insult me. I let them know that their language is not acceptable - because it isn't. It is not unreasonable to expect normal curtesy.
I think you have missed the point here, Drummer! 🙂 Hypo brain overrides normal courtesy, irritability is very common when hypo, one needs to focus entirely on the hypo.

I think you have missed the point here, Drummer! 🙂 Hypo brain overrides normal courtesy, irritability is very common when hypo, one needs to focus entirely on the hypo.
Well documented too! Frequently listed as a symptom.

Often with a refusal to accept advice, such as shut up, sit down and take some sugar!

Well documented too! Frequently listed as a symptom.

Often with a refusal to accept advice, such as shut up, sit down and take some sugar!
Many years ago, when I was teaching, and before I was on insulin, I recall an INSET day before the start of the Autumn term, when we had a presentation from the DSN of a new Year 7 who was T1. We were told that the most obvious sign that she was close to a hypo was grumpiness - she was normally a very quiet, well-behaved pupil, but when low became loud and argumentative.

Many years ago, when I was teaching, I recall an INSET day before the start of the Autumn term, when we had a presentation from the DSN of a new Year 7 who was T1. We were told that the most obvious sign that she was close to a hypo was grumpiness - she was normally a very quiet, well-behaved pupil, but when low became loud and argumentative.
I think I can relate here(even though Im a not child) although not always just sometimes.

Last edited:
well just to retinerte again deiffitty not alone i was just getinf ittitrible well testing for tea as it happned i was 3.9

I actually get quite grumpy when I'm not hypo or hyper, I'm not sure when it started but I think it's just the daily stress of having to deal with diabetes.

But yes, being irrational when you are hypo is normal and something you need to learn and deal with. The way I understand it is the body is trying to shut down systems so it can preserve vital organs, the brain isn't one of them :D

I had a hypo in work a long time ago and said some horrible things I was ashamed of.
Be comfortable with the fact you won't be rational, it just creates more stress if you worry about it or how you affect other people and doesn't help you deal with the situation.

(snip) But yes, being irrational when you are hypo is normal and something you need to learn and deal with. The way I understand it is the body is trying to shut down systems so it can preserve vital organs, the brain isn't one of them :D (snip)
It's the other way around, as hypo approaches the brain 'slows down' to protect itself. You feel the effect of the hypo before the glucose level has dropped to a level that can actually damage the brain. As the hypo continues to drop below 2 mmol it's a different story. Other organs are more resilient to the effects of hypo.

Your individual experience of hypos is no doubt unique.

"...glucose levels alone do not predict neurologic dysfunction."

"The early changes in the EEG in unaware diabetes patients during mild hypoglycemia may be seen as a protective phenomenon that shifts the threshold for eventual cerebral energy failure in hypoglycemia to lower plasma glucose levels. Slowing of the EEG pattern is associated with a decrease in cerebral metabolic rate for glucose and precedes severe cerebral energy derangements..."

Yup. My OH has occasionally had to apologise for me to the checkout staff in supermarkets - I hasten to add, because I'm ranting at him, not them! What IS it about shopping?!!

Oh I'll 'happily' rant at anyone in hearing distance, if this wasn't a prime demonstration of how being hypo affects the brain, I don't know what would be. It's also a good reminder to those of us who drive that although it's a flippin perishing PITA having to wait THAT long to recommence driving once your BG is back up again and staying there - it's actually necessary. None of us wants to stop and wait ages before just doing an extra mile to get home or wherever we're going - and it's very tempting not to - BUT ........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back