Hypo even when bg is high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
This has been mentioned somewhere else on this site but sorry cant find it. As you know my bs has been high while they get insulin back into my system. Im now at 60 units of insatard a day. Normally its around the 18-25 mark. Last couple of weeks have had some low readings 7-10 and each time have had signs of having a hypo. Its not a mistake as had really bad hypos when I was in hospital 1.6 and the like so I know what a hypo is like for me. Have treated them as hypos. and Im then fine. Dont know if anyone else gets this I guess Im looking for answers/help. Is it really possible to be having a hypo when your bs are what is considered to be a normal range
Cheers in advance
gail
:D:D

hi gail - from what i understand, it is quite common to feel 'low' even when your BG levels are in range when you have been running high for a while. it is your body's adjustment to having lower BG levels.

i got this a lot a few years ago when i was really tightening up my control. i would be well within range and yet get all the classic hypo symptoms. it stopped after a little while.

Hi Gail

Don't quote me on it, but...

I have been told that when you run high for a while, your body thinks it's normal. So when you then go back to normal levels, your body thinks it's hypo. Hopefully after a while of being whithin the normal range your hypo feelings won't start until you ARE hypo.

Good luck

Hi Gail,

I know exactly what you are talking about- I have experienced this too! 🙂

There was a stage when I ran extremely high all of the time and was in similar numbers. I was on a reguime that wasnt working for me and also diagnosed as a type 2 when it was later found I was type 1, but I experienced a hypo at 7.0mmols once! I remember being at the tour de france and needed help from the st Johns ambulance with a hypo at 5.9mmols too! Nightmare. This was all after a period of being admitted to hospital with DKA. My HbA1c was 11%

Following that, when the insulin eventually started to get back working again my DSN tells me that it is just a drop in any sugar that can make you feel this way when your body is used to being high all the time. I remembering her reasurring me she it would go after a while and she was right. She also told me that it is a hypo, and should be treated as such.

Occassionally I will get those symptoms now if I have been high for a few readings- I am suprised that I am so sensitive to it.

Essentially I dont think it is something to worry to much about, your body will adjust as your HbA1c goes down.

Hope this helps xx

Hi Gail

Don't quote me on it, but...

I have been told that when you run high for a while, your body thinks it's normal. So when you then go back to normal levels, your body thinks it's hypo. Hopefully after a while of being whithin the normal range your hypo feelings won't start until you ARE hypo.

Good luck

These are false hypos, like Monica and shiv have said, when you have been used to being high when you drop you can have hypo symptoms but it isn't a real hypo... I find that happens to me when I have been running high and then drop down to 7 or 6 and I have hypo symptoms.. when I mentioned this
to my dietician she said that I shouldn't treat it as you would a hypo and to leave it otherwise you will go high.

It is really hard not to treat these and so if you can avoid then it's better. If you really feel awful then you can treat, but with a small amount of carbs and slower acting if possible. As squidge says you will end up higher if you treat these, but the aim is to overall reduce your blood sugars so that you will feel ok at these levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back