Hypo and hypers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sask

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi im new to this so let me begin my partner was in hospital with seizures and a hypo attack ans was on diagnosed in hospital properly .. hes on kapprol and 15 units novo mix am....and 20 pm...when hes shivery and cold do i give him insulin .....when hes hallusinating do i give him insulin he hates needles and will rarely let me check his blood the after care in hospital was rubish i had to look on you tube how to use the novo mix 30 pen....when hes high he hallusinates and can stay up all night till the next day

When he is in any way unwell eg shivery and cold or hallucinating one of you needs to test his blood sugar. You can’t take extra novomix if he is high as it isn’t flexible, he needs to take the dose he has been prescribed and speak to his medical team about the high and low blood sugars.

By Kapprol do you mean Keppra which is an epilepsy medication?

Hi im new to this so let me begin my partner was in hospital with seizures and a hypo attack ans was on diagnosed in hospital properly .. hes on kapprol and 15 units novo mix am....and 20 pm...when hes shivery and cold do i give him insulin .....when hes hallusinating do i give him insulin he hates needles and will rarely let me check his blood the after care in hospital was rubish i had to look on you tube how to use the novo mix 30 pen....when hes high he hallusinates and can stay up all night till the next day

Hi @Sask Did he have seizures before diabetes or were they both diagnosed at the same time? If you can give a little more detail that would help. What type of epilepsy does he have? It’s the epilepsy that’s more likely to be causing the hallucinations, I think. I suggest you speak to his epilepsy nurse if he has one, or his GP if not.

Shivering and coldness could be caused by anything. He or you needs to test his blood sugar in case he’s having a hypo (low blood sugar). Sometimes a hypo can cause sweating and that can cause a person to feel cold, but equally there could be another cause. You NEVER give insulin to someone having a hypo - it would be very, very dangerous. A hypo needs sugar like glucose tablets or jelly babies or sugar Coke. Anything like that will get the blood sugar back up.

You say he’s on Novomix. That’s usually taken before breakfast and before the evening meal. It’s a mix of slow-acting insulin and fast-acting insulin. Don’t give him any Novomix at other times - stick to his two injection times. He’ll need to eat regular meals to avoid hypos. If his blood sugar is high, unfortunately you can’t correct that with Novomix. What you could do is note what he’d eaten for the previous meal and speak to his GP to see if his dose needs adjusting if he’s always going high at a similar time of day.

You say the hospital didn’t give him good aftercare. Do speak to his GP. They can give advice about his seizures, and also should have a nurse who can help you and him with his insulin doses.

Does he have an appointment for a check-up with a consultant or anyone similar?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back