Hypo after 3 hrs on gliclazide

Ruth W

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, ive had diabetes for 11 yrs and was just on dapafloglozin until this morning. My glucose levels kept going up to 13 -15 with ktones so they put me gliclazide 80mg as well. Within 3 hrs of my 1st tablet I went hypo at 4.4. I've had false hypos in the past but this was so fast and intense and scary.
Is this normal? Will it settle down after a week or so or do I need to contact my doctor?

Thanks Ruthx

Hi, ive had diabetes for 11 yrs and was just on dapafloglozin until this morning. My glucose levels kept going up to 13 -15 with ktones so they put me gliclazide 80mg as well. Within 3 hrs of my 1st tablet I went hypo at 4.4. I've had false hypos in the past but this was so fast and intense and scary.
Is this normal? Will it settle down after a week or so or do I need to contact my doctor?

Thanks Ruthx
I suggest contacting your GP straight away - maybe some information was not given, some advice overlooked.
If you are eating a low carb diet then ketones are to be expected - but that ought to lower blood glucose for an ordinary uninteresting type 2 - more might be going on from what you write - but we can't diagnose or advise on medical matters - other than sucking in air between our teeth and murmuring 'that don't look right' as required.

Hello @Ruth W, I'm insulin dependent so my understanding of T2 matters is far from large. But true hypo actually starts at 3.5 and even then, if one's hypo awareness is good, at 3.5 I'm getting early warning signs, rather than the full on most unpleasant hypo experience from an even lower BG. I've assumed your 4.4 has come from a finger prick and meter reading; and meter readings have their own element of error or permitted "tolerance" - so displayed numbers are best rounded up or down to the nearest whole number and just treated as low, rather than OK if the reading was (say) 4.7 (ie near 5).

However it is possible to feel as if you are hypo in the mid 4s, when in fact you are not really hypo. This false hypo experience can (does) happen, particularly if your oral meds and lifestyle changes are steadily bringing your BG down. An analogy I've seen is needing to get your BG equivalent thermostat to reset itself. My understanding is that this readjustment will naturally happen, with time; I don't know if that needs days or weeks.

I don't think you need to contact your Doctor; this sounds like it's a learning experience from the introduction of glic. Possibly of more interest/ significance is what has changed to cause your BG levels to steadily increase and generate ketones? Obviously age and natural hormone changes can be the explanation; but have you made noticeable lifestyle changes or are you now experiencing increased stress (eg aging parents bringing altered responsibiluties, or adult children? We had both within one year while in our 50s.) It's probably an unanswerable question. Things do just change!

Just seen @Drummer's reply. So now you have 2 totally contradictory views. Sorry!

Just seen @Drummer's reply. So now you have 2 totally contradictory views. Sorry!
I've known of more than just a couple of instances where people have 'started something new' and soldiered on with sad consequences, so I am probably a bit more concerned about the situation - there's no harm in checking instead of trying to make a go if it - as in the now infamous 'there are your guns'.

Thanks. I think I'll call in the morning. How did you get to remission, any tips?

Back