Hypo’s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calypso

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, what are the symptoms and feelings of a hypo?
Do type 2 have them?
thank you.

I had a few 'false hypos' when coming down from glucose levels in the high teens - easily described as 'the wobblies' but unless taking glucose reducing medication type twos don't tend to have the real thing. I found that sitting down and having a warm drink plus three or four grapes restored normality.
If you are taking something to actively remove glucose then you should have been supplied with test equipment and given advice on managing levels

Hi @Drummer thank you so much for your reply.
im on Metformin 2 x 500 a day . nurse wants to double this. I’m back there in 3 week.
The reason I ask is i have lots of other conditions ,with lots of meds. Most days I feel dizzy ,feel sick ,shaky and just ill.
so I was wondering if I could pin it down to maybe a symptom that I don’t usually have. Just in case I do have one. (My HbA1c 107 im newly diagnosed)

I believe that the 4 tablets would be the maximum dose of Metformin.
I never managed to get onto even 2 - I was so very ill on Atorvastatin and Metformin. Do you have a meter to test your levels? I got myself a Tee 2 + meter and strips etc by mail order, as it is cheap to use, and it was very helpful to be able to check my levels, though I was more concerned about going high - but it is helpful either way.
If you check your level when feeling woozy then it should help you understand what is happening at that moment so you can report to your GP or nurse as required to get a diagnosis.

Thanks again @Drummer .
iv just recently been brought a meter.
I would be very grateful if you could you pls tell me what the max and min scores should be?

Thanks again @Drummer .
I would be very grateful if you could you pls tell me what the max and min scores should be?
For someone with diabetes treated with insulin, a hypo is considered anything below 4 mmol/l.
However, if not treated with insulin, it is possible to have "healthy" levels in the high 3s . For example, my non-diabetic partner has recorded 3.8 after a bike ride.

As @Drummer mentioned, our bodies are used to becoming familiar with a certain level and can give you hypo symptoms above 4 mmol/l if you have been running in the teens for some time.

Regarding the higher limit in the range @Bruce Stephens mentioned, I think this is too tight. People without diabetes can record levels closer to 10 mmol/l depending upon what they eat.

As you are newly diagnosed, do not get too stressed about being in range . I would recommend targeting a trend of going lower over time.

Regarding the higher limit in the range @Bruce Stephens mentioned, I think this is too tight. People without diabetes can record levels closer to 10 mmol/l depending upon what they eat.
Yes, but I think much over 7 is unusual, isn't it? I think 4-7 is a suitable guideline, but I agree it's not sensible to panic too much if you're over that after a large meal.

Thank you so much @Bruce Stephens and @helli

Im shocked that the score is so low
I thought it would be over 10 at the very least.( for a hypo)

Is the test on a meter the same as a HbA1c?

Is the test on a meter the same at a HbA1c?
No! They're measuring different things using different units.

The range suggested is between 4-7mmol/l fasting (morning) or before meals and less than 8.5mmol/l 2 hours after meals but when levels are still high early in diagnosis then an increase of no more then 2-3mmol/l from before to 2 hours after meals is something to aim at as that would indicate you are tolerating the carbs in that meal.
This is for Type 2 not on insulin, dietary managed only or oral meds and diet.

Thank you so much @Leadinglights .
things are getting much clearer than when I had my 1st apt ,with the Diabetic Nurse on Friday.
That’s thanks to everyone on here that has really helped me Also, put up with my ridiculous questions.

Thanks again @Drummer .
If you are just starting out then the difference between just before starting to eat a meal and two hours on from that time is how to judge your progress, rather than the actual numbers.
If you have been in high numbers for a while then every possible bit of storage is full and glucose will 'leak out' into the bloodstream if it is at all possible, to reduce the load.
As you cut down on carbs things will become more normal and your metabolism will pick up its usual methods of working - so you might well feel more energetic, more mentally alert, less fatigue.
My actual numbers reduced down little by little as I cut out carbs and emptied the reserves. When I was under 8mmol/l I stopped making substitutions and reductions but the numbers kept on reducing to under 7 all the time.
I was diagnosed in late 2016 and went low carb from that moment, just over a year later I went to have Christmas dinners with the offspring, one each day, and still saw under 7mmol/l both days, that was when I knew that I'd got it beaten.

Thank you @Drummer thats so helpful. I hope I can do as well as you.

my problem is Bread potatoes and full fat Pepsi ! I know I will struggle with them.
Although I did buy a bottle of “7 UP Free” and it’s not that bad. So I might just get there!

my problem is Bread potatoes and full fat Pepsi ! I know I will struggle with them.
Although I did buy a bottle of “7 UP Free” and it’s not that bad. So I might just get there!
It is possible to make a low carb bread - or there are fairly low carb ones with small slices to buy.
I use cheese waffles or wraps - the same mixture of eggs and cheese etc. one made in a waffle cooker and the other in a frying pan.
Instead of potatoes I use swede, but for different alternatives I use cauliflower, courgette or other low carb options. I have taken to cooking it in a pressure cooker to save gas. It will cook in 5 minutes of heating - on a low light, then I leave it to cool down slowly.
I buy the various sugar free mixers from Lidl - they aren't bad - I don't get an aftertaste with them which some drinks have.

Last edited:
@Drummer
I don’t have a pressure cooker. I didn’t even think about one.I’m going to get one asap.It’s a brilliant idea. Especially with the Gas rises. Thank you Drummer!

Can't speak for Pepsi as I don't like it but I much prefer the Diet Coke to full fat Coke, some of the sparkling flavoured water is OK.
I use butternut squash or other squashes when I have them instead of potato as it is much lower carb.

Can't speak for Pepsi as I don't like it but I much prefer the Diet Coke to full fat Coke, some of the sparkling flavoured water is OK.
I use butternut squash or other squashes when I have them instead of potato as it is much lower carb.
That made me do a double take - talking about squash after you talked about pepsi. You dilute squash with water and drink it. Oh - you mean the vegetable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back