Hyper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilary

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Apart from taking more insulin, what can be done when blood sugar way too high. Machine wont read just says "HI" on steroids for another complaint but this the highest itsbeen

Apart from taking more insulin, what can be done when blood sugar way too high. Machine wont read just says "HI" on steroids for another complaint but this the highest itsbeen

Guzzle lots of water and dial NHS direct for more immediate help i was told if i get HI reading it means my level is abouve 30.

I think if it's 'HI' it's different depending on what meter you're using. Mine only says 'HI' if I'm above 27.8 which is nearly 30 anyway, but it might be lower on yours. But yes, drink lots and lots of water!!

Are you able to test for ketones, worth doing if you're at that level. The number that a Hi reading comes up for depends on your meter, usually high 20s - early 30s.

Hilary HI is not a good reading at all, I would call NHS direct or your diabetic clinic. I know mine have the number for a diabetic registrar who is on call 24hrs. Apart from that drink lots of water, take some more insulin and if you can check for ketones.

Hilary I don't know how long you are taking steroids for - but one of their side effects is to increase blood glucose.

I would call NHS direct as you may need a modification to your diabetes management whilst taking the steroids.

I knew one person who had to have insulin because he was on so many meds that increased his blood sugar. Once he got better and was able to stop taking the drugs he came off insulin, he doesn't need any tablets either.

Just remembered why my sugars have been higher this week... how could I forget, I had 7 steroid injections in my spine on friday, and I remember the dr saying to watch out that my sugars will go higher.. glad I read this thread...

Hilary hope you are ok and the hyper has passed x

Thank you for all replies levels going down now so will take bedtime Levemir or maybe a bit extra. Coincidently I did drink lots of water as was very thirsty, its a bit scary when you don't know whats best.😱
Goodnight all

Thank you for all replies levels going down now so will take bedtime Levemir or maybe a bit extra. Coincidently I did drink lots of water as was very thirsty, its a bit scary when you don't know whats best.😱
Goodnight all

hi hilary pleased you got back to us , have yourself a good nights sleep

take care x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back