Husband diagnosed with type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahLor

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
My husband has recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. The GP has advised he go on a 800 calorie per day diet to try and put him into remission and recommended a book to follow. He has agreed to commit after the weekend as he is away and he has an appointment on the 22nd with the diabetes nurse. They have said he doesnt need medication if he goes on this diet and haven't given him the equipment to check his blood glucose levels and I wanted to check if this is normal? Thanks

My husband has recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. The GP has advised he go on a 800 calorie per day diet to try and put him into remission and recommended a book to follow. He has agreed to commit after the weekend as he is away and he has an appointment on the 22nd with the diabetes nurse. They have said he doesnt need medication if he goes on this diet and haven't given him the equipment to check his blood glucose levels and I wanted to check if this is normal? Thanks

Yes, it's an excellent decision.
He'll get full support through the course of the regime, and afterwards as well.
It's "The Newcastle Diet", now being rolled out across the UK as a first line treatment.
I did it very successfully.
It sounds like he has a very good, well clued up GP.

This is not unusual that he has not been given a monitor and many self fund so they can check on their blood glucose on a day to day, week to week basis and to test the effect of their meals.
I assume he has quite a bit of weight to lose which is why the 800 calorie per day has been suggested and many have found that successful.
Other people find that a low carb approach works for them and such an approach is outlined in this link. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Did they tell him what his Hba1C is as that will give an indication of far into the diabetes zone he is and how much work needs to be done.

The GP has advised he go on a 800 calorie per day diet to try and put him into remission and recommended a book to follow
That's one option .
He could also try what many of us have done and reduce the carbohydrates he eats without the need to count calories or be hungry.
Not being given a meter is unfortunately fairly common and many of us fund our own.
I preferred to work with my body to reduce blood glucose levels and achieve remission rather than trying to beat it into submission.

The low calorie method is a first line treatment to try to reverse diabetes by removing internal fat.
I was successful, and happily eat most things now.
You have to decide which is best for your circumstances, and if you want the support of your surgery by using their recommendations, or if you go your own way, normally on your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not unusual that he has not been given a monitor and many self fund so they can check on their blood glucose on a day to day, week to week basis and to test the effect of their meals.
I assume he has quite a bit of weight to lose which is why the 800 calorie per day has been suggested and many have found that successful.
Other people find that a low carb approach works for them and such an approach is outlined in this link. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Did they tell him what his Hba1C is as that will give an indication of far into the diabetes zone he is and how much work needs to be

Did they tell him what his Hba1C is as that will give an indication of far into the diabetes zone he is and how much work needs to be done.
I dont know the specifics but will ask him, he isnt massively overweight, probably has about 30 to 40 pounds to lose, that why I was questioning it, I feel at the age of 52 he will lose significant muscle mass which at his age isn't ideal

That's one option .
He could also try what many of us have done and reduce the carbohydrates he eats without the need to count calories or be hungry.
Not being given a meter is unfortunately fairly common and many of us fund our own.
I preferred to work with my body to reduce blood glucose levels and achieve remission rather than trying to beat it into submission.
Thanks I feel that this is more sustainable for him, I'm knowledgeable about macros and nutrition so will be able to help him but 800 calories per day for a man who works 12 hours a day, plays golf 2 to 3 times a week and has numerous golfing holidays and short breaks coming up I feel he would just become miserable, very tired and end up massively failing! Where a higher calorie, very low carb diet is more doable...I will also look into getting a monitor for him, thanks!

I dont know the specifics but will ask him, he isnt massively overweight, probably has about 30 to 40 pounds to lose, that why I was questioning it, I feel at the age of 52 he will lose significant muscle mass which at his age isn't ideal

I didn't.
I went low fat for around a year, then the Newcastle diet hit the news.
I did that, it was very, very easy.
I did mix it up with exercise at the NHS gym, as that had got me into that previously.
I have a lot more muscle mass now, I am a lot fitter.

I lost 5 stone overall, and took up scuba diving.

It is a good idea to look at all options and then be prepared with questions when he sees the nurse. The Learning zone here (orange tab at the top) is a good source of info as well.

Thanks I feel that this is more sustainable for him, I'm knowledgeable about macros and nutrition so will be able to help him but 800 calories per day for a man who works 12 hours a day, plays golf 2 to 3 times a week and has numerous golfing holidays and short breaks coming up I feel he would just become miserable, very tired and end up massively failing! Where a higher calorie, very low carb diet is more doable...I will also look into getting a monitor for him, thanks!

You need to convince him you are right, his doctor is wrong, if you aren't a team it will be more difficult to make any option work.
You also need to watch him closely on holiday, and during the short breaks.

Yes, as you can see, you will get the odd few trying to get you to backtrack and ignore your doctor and your surgery.
However, a low carb diet is normally for life, know as diet control.
The low calorie method is a first line treatment to try to reverse diabetes by removing internal fat.
I was successful, and happily eat most things now.
You have to decide which is best for your circumstances, and if you want the support of your surgery by using their recommendations, or if you go your own way, normally on your own.
Surgery isnt an option he's currently 16 stone and was 13.7 when I met him with low body fat so not a massive amount to lose, I'll be going with him to the next appointment to ask more questions.
We are more than happy to change lifestyle we had a very healthy diet for the first few years together but just feel of the wagon and didnt get back on it, so its a good wake up call,... we know its now a lifelong change needed and I suppose I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the different information around, Thanks!

I was pushed onto various low calorie and low fat high carb diets for decades - almost half a century and it never failed - every single time I felt utterly wretched, weak and unwell, I had no energy, sometimes was not even 'with it' and slurred my speech as though drunk - but what I thought of as my normal diet - which was fairly low carb, always made me feel well and also drop half a stone in a week when I could get back to it.
Since diagnosis I have eaten a fairly low carb diet - started off at 50 gm maximum, and I have regained strength and energy, lost the type 2 diabetes and feel an awful lot younger.
I am just off to Christchurch Quay to play my melodeon for dancing to celebrate the coronation, also booked for tomorrow and Monday - happy days.

Surgery isnt an option he's currently 16 stone and was 13.7 when I met him with low body fat so not a massive amount to lose, I'll be going with him to the next appointment to ask more questions.
We are more than happy to change lifestyle we had a very healthy diet for the first few years together but just feel of the wagon and didnt get back on it, so its a good wake up call,... we know its now a lifelong change needed and I suppose I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the different information around, Thanks!
I think what was meant was your doctor's surgery not actual surgery.
You will see many approaches mentioned here which is why it can be confusing for newcomers.
Everybody is different in their tolerance to carbohydrates in their diet so no 'one size fits all' hence people have to find a way that suits them, has to be enjoyable or it will not be sustainable so whatever way you choose will become your new way of eating.
I am saying you, as in both of you as it is so much easier with the support of a partner who gets on board with the lifestyle changes and it sounds as if you are happy to do that.

The surgery, as in the GP surgery.
They are very similar numbers as me in my story

I think men in particular benefit from the low carb approach to eating - it really ought to be a whole chapter in 'The care and feeding of husbands' if such a thing is ever published.

I think men in particular benefit from the low carb approach to eating - it really ought to be a whole chapter in 'The care and feeding of husbands' if such a thing is ever published.

Nah.
"Men" can simply crack on with an answer.
Ok, some are terrified of "starvation" but I just wanted to get the job done, and 800 calories is more than enough.
Fear is only in the mind.
And why do you expect to have to cook two different meals every day for life?

Nah.
"Men" can simply crack on with an answer.
Ok, some are terrified of "starvation" but I just wanted to get the job done, and 800 calories is more than enough.
Fear is only in the mind.
And why do you expect to have to cook two different meals every day for life?
Tonight's meal is roast chicken with baked potatoes and peas for my husband and whatever I find in the fridge or freezer for me - probably mushrooms and some stir fry - it isn't a problem - I might get some frozen berries out of the freezer and make a dessert as well, oh and make sure that the coffee percolator is fully charged and ready for the off.
It is all about the timing with a bit of multi tasking.

Tonight's meal is roast chicken with baked potatoes and peas for my husband and whatever I find in the fridge or freezer for me - probably mushrooms and some stir fry - it isn't a problem - I might get some frozen berries out of the freezer and make a dessert as well, oh and make sure that the coffee percolator is fully charged and ready for the off.
It is all about the timing with a bit of multi tasking.
We have the same meals but my OH has a few extras or different things like he has orange juice, I have fissy water, he has biscuits and cereals but I have yoghurt and berries. No hassle at all.

You seem to have hijacked somebody's serious thread with the argument between between yourselves.
Not really
Just suggesting a life on a pure steak diet, and fasting for twenty hours a day isn't what the op may what.
The same way you said
"Nobody said finding the right foods was easy."

Low carb is a lifetime commitment.
Low calorie isn't.
You are desperate to flip the op off their comment to low calorie.
Stand up and take the consequences of that, don't hide away from the fact you bombed this this thread.
The op has already said they had committed to low calorie, and signed up with their GP.
You are undermining that decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back