Hungry when BG high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpurpleduck

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else gets much hungrier when their BG runs high for a while?

The past couple of weeks I must have averaged at around 11-12, and in the last 2 or 3 days I've been unable to think about anything other than food!

Oh yes definitely, unless I go orbital in which case I lose interest altogether. If I'm in the low teens though I get some serious munchies, if I'm higher than that I'm not hungry at all and if I'm too low I feel sick and can't eat. I think these are fairly standard reactions that most of us get.

Thanks Alison, glad it's not just me! Two of my colleagues simultaneously said, "You're not pregnant, are you?" and I panicked!

I want a big fat burger with huge bowl of chips followed by a great slab of chocolate cake.

Unfortunately all I have with me at work is cous cous, cereal bar, mini mullerice and pineapple. Boo hiss!

Yeah, I always feel ravenous too, so your not alone 🙂 Oooooo chocolate cake, really want some now . . . . . . .

I think it's to do with the fact that you are confusing your brain into thinking you are starving. If your levels are high then it means that you don't have enough insulin circulating to process the glucose in your blood. The brain doesn't understand about diabetes so it thinks that your cells aren't getting the energy they need and makes you want to eat!

Yeah Emma you not alone on this one, i used to regularly have high BS for weeks and i was forever nibbling,not so much now but certainly in the past 🙄

Just had lunch and still hungry. Doesn't seem to matter how much I eat! :(

I only get hungry if I go hypo, if I go too low I feel too sick to eat.. generally I don't ever feel hungry and definitely don't feel hungry when high.

Unless I've just eaten a very big meal I feel hungry most of the time anyway!

Just had lunch and still hungry. Doesn't seem to matter how much I eat! :(

just wondering if your basals need changing if you are regularly in the 12s?

Mine were great and suddenly went up the shoot this last week, cant get under 11 and regularly 19-23 after meals. Spent yesterday morning at the hospital and and now in process of changing my rates...........and yes im sooooooooo hungry :D

just wondering if your basals need changing if you are regularly in the 12s?

Oh, they sure do! I just don't want to change too much too quickly. Think overnight basal is almost there so starting to focus on mornings now.

I was getting there and then returned to work, and the stress has sent my BG quite a bit higher again.

Now I'm incredibly bloated because I've been eating rubbish all day, and am not at all hungry anymore!

I think it's to do with the fact that you are confusing your brain into thinking you are starving. If your levels are high then it means that you don't have enough insulin circulating to process the glucose in your blood. The brain doesn't understand about diabetes so it thinks that your cells aren't getting the energy they need and makes you want to eat!

That is exactly right! I asked my DSN the same the question and got a similar answer...although yours was much more compehensive!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back