Hunger pangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funnyday

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've been experiencing hunger pangs after I've eaten a meal. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. Any idea if it's diabetes-related or not?

I've been experiencing hunger pangs after I've eaten a meal. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. Any idea if it's diabetes-related or not?
How long after eating, is it actually feeling hungry or just the effect caused by your food digesting.
What are you having for your meals?

It happens an hour or two after eating. It stays with me until I next eat, and then 2 hours later it does it again. I'm eating chicken with rice or new potatoes. Or Chicken casserole and rice. Or 2 Burgers with new potatoes or baked beans. Or chicken Kiev and rice. Or Mackeral and rice with three bean salad. Many more meals too.

Hi,

I've had that before, almost feels like the insulin is working faster than the meal. There's been occasions when I've been so hungry I get hunger fangs!

It happens an hour or two after eating. It stays with me until I next eat, and then 2 hours later it does it again. I'm eating chicken with rice or new potatoes. Or Chicken casserole and rice. Or 2 Burgers with new potatoes or baked beans. Or chicken Kiev and rice. Or Mackeral and rice with three bean salad. Many more meals too.
The meals you are having depending on your portion size of potatoes or rice could be quite high carb so your pancreas kicks in and over produces insulin which causes blood glucose to drop and that can then make you feel hungry. Do you test your blood glucose 2 hours after you meal when that is happening to see what it is.
Are you taking any medication or just dietary managed.

I've not taken any BG readings when experiencing it. I'm on metformin and Jardiance.

Quite a few causes. Meal composition, exercise, blood sugar levels, insulin resistance, dehydration, obesity...

Research has shown that a meal high in refined carbs causes hunger shortly after eating, and this is due to the rise and fall of insulin levels happening very quickly after eating due to the quick digestion of carbs - possibly linked to the release of a hormone that stimulates hunger. A meal with a mix of protein, good carbs/fibre (Fruit, veg, etc) and fats doesn't cause the same rapid rise and fall as it takes longer to digest.

Those meals you listed look like a decent mix off stuff.

I'd try testing blood sugars when it happens. Lack of energy caused by high blood sugar can lead to hunger...

I had a couple of ham salad rolls at noon. An hour later I was feeling hungry so I took my BG reading. It was 6.5.

I had a couple of ham salad rolls at noon. An hour later I was feeling hungry so I took my BG reading. It was 6.5.
Totally normal.

I am never hungry - I can even miss dinner due to being busy and then not be hungry next morning and decide to drive home, stop and go for a wander, arrive home and close down the camper, and only then think - oh, better have something to eat.
However - I do not eat rice, I don't eat any grains, I don't eat potatoes or baked beans. No medication required, HbA1c just above normal levels.
Yesterday I ate a blob of mozzarella cheese, a square of dark chocolate, two quarter pound beefburgers and a few peas and drank a couple of mugs of coffee with cream.
Dinner today will be chicken and stirfry.

Sounds exactly like me. I don't get this every day but about 25% of the time. No explanation though. Not really concerned as it isn't all the time. No clues from BG/Libre as BS isn't going too far down. Starting to think its in my head if I think I haven't eaten enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back