Humulin I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sg80

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Evening everyone, I was changed to Humulin I insulin twice daily from last night. The nurse told me i had to take it 12hrs apart but before evening meal. My question is if i dont take it until 9am i dont have my main meal that late. What im wanting to know is if i will be ok to eat my meal & then take the insulin at the right time?
Thank you.

What insulin were you on before @Sg80 ? And do you also take a fast-acting insulin?

Is there any reason why you can't take the first dose at 7am and the second at 7pm? If you generally sleep later, you can always set an alarm, inject in bed and go back to sleep, that's what I do with my basal insulin.... ie inject an hour before I get up.
Having said that I can't see why you need to take it before your evening meal when it doesn't have a fast acting component.

Having said that I can't see why you need to take it before your evening meal when it doesn't have a fast acting component.
and that was exactly what I just thought, too.

So will you please ask the nurse exactly why you have to take it before your evening meal? What is she trying to find out by doing that?

Hi. I was on humalog mix 25 twice daily & no not on any other insulin.

So you now have no fast-acting insulin, which might be why the nurse thinks you need to take the Humulin i before your evening meal. But if your evening meal is likely to put your blood sugar up. I’m wondering why you can’t just have a separate fast insulin to take when needed.

I agree that you should ask the nurse for more information.

She just said it needed to be 12hrs apart but before evening meal. The nurse is phoning me in a couple of weeks to see how im getting on so will ask her then. She did say i may need a fast acting insulin before meals but to see how i get on.

Hope you get some clarity from your nurse @Sg80 - ask those questions, and explain the concerns you have.

There is a general guide to the average activity of Humulin I in the Diabetes UK ‘Meds and Kit’ supplement

This suggests it takes about an hour to get fully up to speed, then works at full strength for the next 7ish hours before gradually fading over a total action time of approx 22 hours.

So it seems that your previous dose will be ‘fading’ while your new dose is ramping up, and there will be a degree of overlap.

Perhaps your nurse just doesn’t want you taking the Humulin I too late in the evening?

Will be interesting to hear the results of your conversations, and what the best timings / arrangements end up being for you. 🙂

She just said it needed to be 12hrs apart but before evening meal. The nurse is phoning me in a couple of weeks to see how im getting on so will ask her then. She did say i may need a fast acting insulin before meals but to see how i get on.

When I take a pump break, I use isophane insulin. I take it late evening not before my evening meal. The reason I do that is that if I took it before my evening meal it could ‘run out’ before I get up the following morning and then I risk waking with high blood sugar. I don’t take my two doses exactly 12 hours apart.

So i have spoken to a different practise nurse who says before evening meal so im still a bit confused. So what i think im going to do is 1 day have 12hrs apart and test levels then another day have before meals & see what happens to my levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back