Humanoid vs Animal Insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Obviously the works could not have carried on with animal insulin only with an increasing population, an increasing prevalence of diabetes, and a move by many to vegetarianisn and veganusm.

One of my worries is if animal insulin will continue in the decades to come as depending on tech to detect a hypo is scary. One doesn't want to die of a software bug.

Anyway I read recently the reason so many big pharmaceutical companies steooed manufacturing animal insulin was that humanoid insulin has a far higher profit margin. And allegedly the NHS pay more for it (are the figures on your price list @Pattidevans ?)

Very interesting me thinks!

It was well known at the time that synthetic insulin had huge profit margins hence the push for everyone to use it. It was also the case of tuff luck if it didn't suit you or made you very unwell.

Bovine is not manufactured anymore s certain raw materials are not available anymore.
Pork insulin will always be available due to dogs not being able to use synthetic insulins.

Anyway I read recently the reason so many big pharmaceutical companies steooed manufacturing animal insulin was that humanoid insulin has a far higher profit margin. And allegedly the NHS pay more for it (are the figures on your price list @Pattidevans ?)
Sorry @MikeyBikey I lost access to the bnf price lists when it went over to subscription only. Try googling, that’s how I found the price of Liothyronine.

Can't see pork insulin disappearing anytime soon, fair few of us on here take Creon which is derived from pigs pancreas.

Can't see pork insulin disappearing anytime soon, fair few of us on here take Creon which is derived from pigs pancreas.

Thanks for that piece of information. I have seen references to Creon and assumed incorrectly that it was an humanoid drug. 🙂

I would be very surprised if porcine insulin was cheaper than modern analogue insulins now, because the porcine will be a niche market whereas the modern insulin manufacturing processes will have been geared up for mass production ultimately leading to reduced price. I think it is about £35 for a pack of 5 pens or cartridges for most modern basal/bolus insulins but I think Levemir is a little more expensive nearer £40. I have no idea of the cost of Porcine though.

How long is it since you tried the "humanoid" insulins and which ones did you try? I think if that was your only concern about hypo awareness, then it might be worth trying again, particularly when you get Libre. I hear what you say about death by "software bug", but I am talking about a short trial period. I believe some synthetic insulins were more susceptible to causing this problem than others. That said, I can totally understand your reluctance to change at all and I feel sure that your porcine insulin supply is not at risk.

I would be very surprised if porcine insulin was cheaper than modern analogue insulins now, because the porcine will be a niche market whereas the modern insulin manufacturing processes will have been geared up for mass production ultimately leading to reduced price. I think it is about £35 for a pack of 5 pens or cartridges for most modern basal/bolus insulins but I think Levemir is a little more expensive nearer £40. I have no idea of the cost of Porcine though.

Wockhardt supply porcine insulin to many countries, not just the U.K., so I guess that keeps their prices low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back