Humalog v Novorapid

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Should be trialing Novorapid tomorrow if i can get it today as im now bolusing 20 minutes after eating. Been reading that Novorapid is generally slower than humalog but nothing mentioned by how much slower roughly. Consultant rekons im now too sensitive to the humalog but as I still need a similar overall action of the humalog she suggested i try the Novorapid. Fingers crossed its slower as my sensitivity to the humalog is increasing day by day again since I had some virus or covid again when it stopped and started to decrease while a little poorly.

I am surprised to read that Humalog is faster than NovoRapid. It is not what my DSN told me.
She explained to me that the two insulins are defined to be about the same speed but we react differently so some of us will find NovoRapid faster, some may find Humalog faster and some may find little difference.
In the graph below, the yellow and purple lines show a similar profile although NovoRapid lasts a little longer. (You can ignore the red Fiasp line - I could not find a graph showing only NovoRapid and Humalog.)

1715171702699.png
When I trialled Humalog, I found it slower than NovoRapid but was advised to start with the assumption they act as fast, last as long and have equal potency.

Last edited:
I found no noticeable differences between how fast and how long Humalog and NovoRapid worked. My insulin to carb ratios also remained the same regardless of which I used.

To me on MDI, I could use them interchangeably, but everyone is different.

As has already been said, everyone reacts differently. I found Humalog slower than Novorapid and for me Humlog had a kick in the tail at about 4.5 - 5 hours when I would hypo. I now use Apidra which is faster than Novorapid.

As has already been said, everyone reacts differently. I found Humalog slower than Novorapid and for me Humlog had a kick in the tail at about 4.5 - 5 hours when I would hypo. I now use Apidra which is faster than Novorapid.
I’ve never used novorapid but I too found humalog to have a kick in the tail at 4.5-5 hours when it would drop me low, and prefer apidra. If you want something slow then novorapid is worth a go (they nickname it novoslow for a reason) and would avoid apidra if you don’t like faster insulins.

Yes my humalog does have a kick in the last hour, as much as a whole mmol most of the time. Been advised to start it at my current bolus timings as i have a bit of room to move if it does proove to be faster than the humalog. Hope not, lord knows what ill do next if it is.

Try a regular human insulin next @gillrogers They’re slower than both Humalog and Novorapid and not so fierce. You might have to push to get one as HCPs think faster is better and favour the analogues.

I am surprised to read that Humalog is faster than NovoRapid. It is not what my DSN told me.
She explained to me that the two insulins are defined to be about the same speed but we react differently so some of us will find NovoRapid faster, some may find Humalog faster and some may find little difference.
In the graph below, the yellow and purple lines show a similar profile although NovoRapid lasts a little longer. (You can ignore the red Fiasp line - I could not find a graph showing only NovoRapid and Humalog.)

View attachment 30190
When I trialled Humalog, I found it slower than NovoRapid but was advised to start with the assumption they act as fast, last as long and have equal potency.

Dr Bernstein says not only that Humalog is faster but that it’s stronger. If I remember correctly, he advises a reduction in Humalog dose compared to NR. I think it depends on many factors really, including absorption, so is hard to measure/compare.

Dr Bernstein says not only that Humalog is faster but that it’s stronger. If I remember correctly, he advises a reduction in Humalog dose compared to NR. I think it depends on many factors really, including absorption, so is hard to measure/compare.
Oh blimey more fun times ahead. Didnt get the novorapid in the end today as it wasnt ready. I'm beginning to think though that im injecting so far from my meal now that even the Novorapid isnt going to change things that much and ill still be bolusing after ive eaten.
Try a regular human insulin next @gillrogers They’re slower than both Humalog and Novorapid and not so fierce. You might have to push to get one as HCPs think faster is better and favour the analogues.
Think i was going to but was told it doesnt come with half units if i remeber rightly. I can fill out a bolus ratio to a whole unit with food but i need the half unit ability for corrections.

Use a regular human insulin for meals @gillrogers and Humalog or NR for corrections. It works 🙂
Oh thats a good idea . . thats just reminded me that the dbn said i can keep my humalog prescription and use it with the novorapid if i need something quicker.

View attachment 30190
Humalog was always said to be the nearest to the body's own insulin because of Humalog's pharmocodynamic and pharmocokinetic properties ( don't ask me what that means ;-) )

Pharmacodynamics is the effects the drug has on the body and pharmacokinetics is absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion of the drug in the body

Dont think trialing it with a dropping basal cos of the heat and recoving from a virus was a good idea. Cant be sure now if the novorapid for me was too strong or it was a too high basal that dropped me too far like it doubled up my correction ratio. My basal has been on the down turn this week for sure. Perhaps i should wait a couple more days for it to level out for this hot westher.

So barely any difference with the novorapid and no kick in the tail ‍♀️ At least that wont confuse me with drop that the levemir gives me at lunchtime. So might just stay with this for now until can try something else.

Yes I found them roughly equivalent in terms of doses, ratios, and timings too. I seem to recall Humalog had a bit more ‘Oomph’ towards the end of its tail for me, but not much to speak of.

Yes I found them roughly equivalent in terms of doses, ratios, and timings too. I seem to recall Humalog had a bit more ‘Oomph’ towards the end of its tail for me, but not much to speak of.
Yes i do too. The only bit of it i liked until it dawned on me today that the kick of between 1-2 mmol in the last hour was confusing me with what my Levemir does at lunch time. My Levemir brings me down around the same time. When my basal dose is too high that can do the same but over 2-3 hours . So sometimes i cant tell wether it was the levemir caused it or the humalog. I end up getting in a right mess because of it.

Just thought, im going to stay with the Novorapid for the month at least as it may be a case that if there was something in the humalog causing my sensitivity to it that that may need time to wear off and get out of my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back