Humalog shortage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sallysw

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’m a bit puzzled about why I am not seeing any news about the current shortage of Humalog 10ml vials for pump users. I can assure you there is a shortage.

I can't find a pharmacist in the Ipswich area who can get any. My diabetic team suggested a similar insulin but the pharmacies are also struggling to get that.

I think people need to know this because it takes time to change prescriptions and call around pharmacies trying to get some.

I’m a bit puzzled about why I am not seeing any news about the current shortage of Humalog 10ml vials for pump users. I can assure you there is a shortage.

I can't find a pharmacist in the Ipswich area who can get any. My diabetic team suggested a similar insulin but the pharmacies are also struggling to get that.

I think people need to know this because it takes time to change prescriptions and call around pharmacies trying to get some.
If everything there’s a shortage of was in the news then there wouldn’t be any time for anything else. You can get humalog in different formats (cartridges or pens) or switch to a different insulin if it has to be a vial?

Sorry to hear you are having trouble getting hold of vials of Humalog @Sallysw

It’s a bit of a nightmare scenario isn’t it!

It does only appear to be the vials that are in short supply. Do you have any left? If you are on a pump could you use any remaining vials to fill your pump for basal and temporarily use pens for boluses? Or could you see of you can fill your reservoirs from a pen cartridge (I was able to do this before with NovoRapid pen cartridges and a Medtronic pump)

Hope you find a way to make it work!

I’ve been trying to get cartridges instead of my usual Humalog vials. I’m hoping a different pharmacy can get me some cartridges today as I’ve had no success searching for vials.

I would be very cautious about switching to a different insulin. We get very used to how they work in our body, onset of action & length of duration plus they contain different preservatives that may cause a reaction. If all else is unavailable then I would change but I would be wary of doing so & want some advice. The suggestion to just switch to something else made to me by a pharmacist doesn’t address the challenges & risks in doing so.

I hope you can find some Humalog @Sallysw

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back