humalog/pump users

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
I have just been speaking with the dsn about A going on the pump. She tells me he will be using Humalog - this is news to me as i had presumed he would just carry on with novorapid.
I dont know why but i feel a bit odd about changing his insulin - i think its because we are used to what novorapid does and have no idea about humalog.
Can anyone give me information about this insulin and its pitfalls (if any) -thanks. Bev

Why does he need to change? I can't see any reason why this is necesarry.

Humalog and novorapid are pretty similar in action. It's one of those things that some people get on better with one or the other. Humalog has been around longer than novorapid.

I asked the dsn why he needed to change and she said that they have always used this with a pump and thats what they are used to. I doubt there is any medical reason to change it.:confused:

I do feel a little worried as the whole thing is a big change anyway and then to add into the mix a different insulin - it just makes me worry!:(Bev

Sounds like your clinic has some funny ideas on things.
If you aren't happy then maybe you can request that he stays on novorapid, might need the consultant to ok it though.

Glad to hear that Alex is getting a pump, I have had my pump now for just over 3 weeks I was on novorapid but have changed to humalog with the pump I haven't noticed any difference at all

Glad to hear that Alex is getting a pump, I have had my pump now for just over 3 weeks I was on novorapid but have changed to humalog with the pump I haven't noticed any difference at all

Hi Sueneil,

Thankyou for telling me this. I dont know why i am worrying really - i think its just the total change and we are used to novorapid. I just found out that the reason is because our hospital pharmacy only stock humalog for pumps - which seems a pretty lame excuse to me. I am waiting for the dsn to ring me back as she is asking the consultant if we can just stay on novorapid. If we cant then we will just go with humalog - and like you say you havent noticed any difference at all - so i am probably worrying over nothing!🙂Bev

Hey Bev,

That is an absolutely dreadful reason! 😡 Do you believe it?? Seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

Will it be the hospital pharmacy that you continue to use? If it isnt, couldnt you have a script from your GP and pick up a couple of vials from your normal pharmacy? I have found so far one vial has lasted me approximately 3 weeks to one month so you dont need much.

I would be very disgruntled with this (but I am vitually allergic to change!). In this day and age I simply cant fathom your hospital does not have the commonist insulin in a vial for you :confused:

Anyhow! Not long now Bev.......how exciting!!! Is alex excited??

xx

Hi all,
I have just been speaking with the dsn about A going on the pump. She tells me he will be using Humalog - this is news to me as i had presumed he would just carry on with novorapid.
I dont know why but i feel a bit odd about changing his insulin - i think its because we are used to what novorapid does and have no idea about humalog.
Can anyone give me information about this insulin and its pitfalls (if any) -thanks. Bev

Hi Bev , good luck with A going on the pump !! This seems a silly reason to change A's Insulin tbh :confused: Try not to worry too much though , I was on Novorapid and then changed to Humalog and found it no different at all . The effects seem to be exactly the same ... its just a different brand name at the end of the day.

My son was changed to Humalog too, from Novorapid, when he started on pump. I do not know the differences between them but if you find out any info then please let me know. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back