Humalog morning dose

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUSTFORLIFE

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I take 12 units of Humalog before meals and 22 units of Lantus once a day, these doses have kept by blood pretty stable, the one weird thing is my morning dose of Humalog, 6.00am with breakfast, by 8.00am, at work, my sugar level plummets and I need jelly beans, last week I lowered my morning dose to 8 units and everything was fine, no crash, I never have any trouble with 12 units the rest of the day, but I worry that lowering the morning dose will have a long term affect? it seems counterproductive to have to eat jelly babies every morning.

You need as much or as little insulin as you need @LUSTFORLIFE Taking 8 units won’t have adverse longterm effects if that’s the amount you need. Insulin isn’t like other meds where you have regular doses you have to stick to. All you’re doing is trying to replicate what your pancreas would do - release the correct amount of insulin for that meal.

You need as much or as little insulin as you need @LUSTFORLIFE Taking 8 units won’t have adverse longterm effects if that’s the amount you need. Insulin isn’t like other meds where you have regular doses you have to stick to. All you’re doing is trying to replicate what your pancreas would do - release the correct amount of insulin for that meal.
I agree, you need to take the amount of insulin that works.
Do you count calories?
I have used to have to use less insulin per carbs for breakfast compared to the rest of the day, though that seems to be changing now. In fact, it changes all the time, often due to whether i am well, if i'm working, how mischeiveous my diabetes is feeling etc etc

Glad your reduced dose is working well @LUSTFORLIFE

Diabetes is like that… you’ll have a dose that works fine for a while, and then suddenly it stops behaving and you are either reaching for hypo treatments, or needing to take more insulin as a correction dose.

And then some time later (a few months… a few weeks… a year or more…) it’ll go back and the dose you used to take will be ‘right’ again.

You are absolutely right about the regular need for jelly babies though. You shouldn’t need those, and spotting that pattern and adjusting your dose was the right thing to do 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back