Humalog in pre filled pens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin Mini

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Can you tell me please, can Humalog U-100 insulin be prescribed in pre filled pens much like my Lantus is? I have Googled and found it is available but is it available on prescription in the UK? At the moment my Eli Lilly Luxura pen is getting old and needs replacing.

Can you tell me please, can Humalog U-100 insulin be prescribed in pre filled pens much like my Lantus is? I have Googled and found it is available but is it available on prescription in the UK? At the moment my Eli Lilly Luxura pen is getting old and needs replacing.
There was discussion here on what pens (disposable and reusable) for Humalog exist.

The Luxura has been replaced by the Savvio pen for Humalog cartridges. Your GP can prescribe it. Yes, there are disposable Humalog pens but the re-useable pens are better, more environmentally friendly and take up less space in your fridge.

If you’re finding it hard to load the cartridges now, then the Humalog Kwikpen is the disposable one you can ask for. There’s the normal one and a Junior Kwikpen that does half units.

The Luxura has been replaced by the Savvio pen for Humalog cartridges. Your GP can prescribe it. Yes, there are disposable Humalog pens but the re-useable pens are better, more environmentally friendly and take up less space in your fridge.

If you’re finding it hard to load the cartridges now, then the Humalog Kwikpen is the disposable one you can ask for. There’s the normal one and a Junior Kwikpen that does half units.
The Savio is Rubbish it’s the pen that doesn’t inject the required amount I have had to go back to my twenty yo Luxura because of constant under injection amounts

The disposable Humslog pen is for me then, thanks will get I touch with my Diabetic DSN tomorrow

Is it that you actually want disposable pens, or just that you need a reliable replacement for the Luxura?

I had the same problem but was adamant that I didn’t want the waste and bulk of disposables. My solution was fairly radical - I switched to Novorapid and Echo Plus pens and wow! - I wish I’d done it years ago! I’d already swapped Lantus to Levemir a couple of years before.

After some uncertainties and not a few hypos, because I actually found that for me it worked faster than Humalog (unusual by most accounts), my levels are better than they’ve been for years and I have the added bonus for my aging brain of having all my doses recorded in Librelink.

Not in any way suggesting that this is the answer for you but it may be an option to consider.

The Savio is Rubbish it’s the pen that doesn’t inject the required amount I have had to go back to my twenty yo Luxura because of constant under injection amounts
I would suspect that it is more likely the 20 year old Luxura pen is worn and therefore consistently dispensing slightly more than the calibrated dose rather than that the Savvio injecting less or not accurately dosing. These mechanisms wear slightly with time and at 20years it must have had a lot of use!!
As long as the Savvio appears to be consistently giving you less, then it makes sense just to adjust your dose by increasing it slightly, to balance your levels. I understand that it is reassuring to stick with something which has worked well for 20 years but it is not always the best policy and your trust in the Luxura may be misplaced if it is getting worn, which is likely to be happening at that age.

The Savvio is worse quality than the Luxura, for sure, but I suspect the dialling up mechanism on your Luxura has become slack over the years, and so you’re actually taking more insulin than you thought.

I’m keeping my Luxura but it’s not as old as yours. Even so, after approx 5 years they do need replacing. If only I’d known they were going to get rid of the Luxura, I’d have ordered more to stock up.

The Savvio is worse quality than the Luxura, for sure, but I suspect the dialling up mechanism on your Luxura has become slack over the years, and so you’re actually taking more insulin than you thought.

I’m keeping my Luxura but it’s not as old as yours. Even so, after approx 5 years they do need replacing. If only I’d known they were going to get rid of the Luxura, I’d have ordered more to stock up.
My Luxura is just fabulous it has never let me down and it dispenses exactly the correct amount of insulin as my next blood test will confirm. It sad to see it go but the Savio is so unreliable.

I would suspect that it is more likely the 20 year old Luxura pen is worn and therefore consistently dispensing slightly more than the calibrated dose rather than that the Savvio injecting less or not accurately dosing. These mechanisms wear slightly with time and at 20years it must have had a lot of use!!
As long as the Savvio appears to be consistently giving you less, then it makes sense just to adjust your dose by increasing it slightly, to balance your levels. I understand that it is reassuring to stick with something which has worked well for 20 years but it is not always the best policy and your trust in the Luxura may be misplaced if it is getting worn, which is likely to be happening at that age.
My Luxura’s dispenses the correct amounts every time. I have two Luxurs pens one Red the other champagne colour for daytime and long lasting insulin. However, the Savio lasted two years then the trouble started dispensing too small a dose leaving me with a high BS reading the next test time. I could actually feel the injector button go slack and under dose. My son, also type1, has has the very same trouble with his he too has returned to his Luxura pens.

Well after contacting DSN there’s been a knock on the door and five Humalog filled disposable pens have been delivered to me, that was quick. So now I can use the pens instead of old reliable Luxura.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back