How

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had depression and anxiety long before my diabetes and surprisingly the diabetes has not made it worse and I think that I am actually better since diagnosis, probably because the diabetes caused me to change my diet ,which needed changing as I was a sugar addict.

That's a big question @spell and you need to determine the cause of the depression and anxiety - is it specifically diabetes or are there other causes?

First off, I would contact NHS Talking Therapies (https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/ta...nd-counselling/benefits-of-talking-therapies/) and get an intro to what they can do. They won't tell you how to go about controlling your BG but they do well on determining what triggers are in play and then you can go from there.

Specifically, on stress caused by diabetes, there's advice from thediabetespsychologist.com and diabetespsychologymatters.com that may help.As an example, they discuss the newest stress trigger in diabetes - the CGM!
and a similar one here Data Overload: The Double-Edged Sword of CGM Technology

Keep us updated on your journey.

Last edited:
I take Propanalol for my anxiety, and meditate daily through the headspace app.

Like rebrascora I had depression and anxiety before I got my diagnosis and a need of big diet changes

spell - did you have depression and anxiety before diabetes?
As Jasmin suggests, it may be worth looking at other aspects of your depression. Tackling at least one part of your depression should help lighten your load

That's a big question @spell and you need to determine the cause of the depression and anxiety - is it specifically diabetes or are there other causes?

First off, I would contact NHS Talking Therapies (https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/ta...nd-counselling/benefits-of-talking-therapies/) and get an intro to what they can do. They won't tell you how to go about controlling your BG but they do well on determining what triggers are in play and then you can go from there.

Specifically, on stress caused by diabetes, there's advice from thediabetespsychologist.com and diabetespsychologymatters.com that may help.As an example, they discuss the newest stress trigger in diabetes - the CGM!
and a similar one here Data Overload: The Double-Edged Sword of CGM Technology

Keep us updated on your journey.
Diabetes is the cause of depression burnout and anxiety

How do you have type 1 without having depression and anxiety attacks
I think that the question should be how do you have a life....
I do my best to look after what I can - visiting the family, playing music and singing, looking at the internet - the occasional rum and coke, watching my own health.
Taking the best route though each day, each week - appreciating the seasons, going out in the rain wearing sandals.
Let anxiety prompt action to reduce it, it is the only way to deal with it effectively.

It depends what’s causing the anxiety. If it’s something like hypo anxiety, there are practical steps that can help. If it’s just general anxiety about having diabetes, I find trying to put it out of my head works best, ie don’t dwell on it. I actively stop myself thinking about it.

But your circumstances are very particular to you @spell with so much mixed up with the diabetes. Talking it through might help a little.

Hi Spell,so sorry they you are feeling anxious and as others have said it is important to distinguish between cause and consequence.
No one doubts that a diagnosis of diabetes can be very debilitating and cause undue anxiety and challenges for many.
Equally it does not in itself necessarily lead to depression and there will be many who get the diagnosis ( as with any condition or disease) who find they can manage to cope with what the world throws at them and essentially live a normal and contented life with minimal disruption.
It does not make anyone better or worse than anyone else it is just we all react differently depending on a whole set of factors relevant only to ourselves.
But very best wishes and truly hope you get the support,info and assistance required to help you through the dark times.

meditate daily through the headspace app.

I was thinking the other day that I had let my meditation practice slip (again!). I don’t use headspace particularly, but taking some time regularly each day to be fully ‘present’ and to recognise my thoughts and feelings, and just let them be as they are for now, does help me. Even if it’s only a few minutes each day.

Personally I just get on with it. It is one of those things, it is what it is. I cannot get rid of it, it will never leave me. I follow the rules and guidance to essentially stay alive like everyone else with Type 1. I realised a long time ago there is no point getting depressed about something I cannot change. I also want to live a long and fruitful life so I just crack on. Accept the bad and praise myself for the good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back