How was your diabetes spoken about to you as a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I would love to hear adult's comments on how they grew up with diabetes from early childhood. What did your parents say that made it 'easier' for you to deal with the condition? etc...

I ask because i had a really hard converstaion with Rose today. I think she's battling a cold as her levels have been a nightmare. Up in the 20s 😱 so i put her on temp basals on the pump and by mid afternoon she was 3.1 although i do think she was lower. It was a horrible hypo. She was so sweaty, quite lethargic, upset, pale and just wanted cuddles, she was complaining she was getting lower - compared to other hypos this wasn't a good one at all :( I really do think she was lower than the 3.1 as normally at this range she is ''okish''

Anyway, as she was coming back up she said she didn't want diabetes anymore :( uttely heartbreaking......i just held and her and admittedly and stupidly i just cried silently (but she didn't see) I just said that i wish she didn't either but there wasn't anything we could do until a cure could be found etc. and that it was ok to not want it. Within 10 mins she was bouncing around with her brother all happy. Obviously, i have been dwelling on it...As a parent, i just want to take it away, i would do anything....but it's so hard to know what to say, so back to my original question....if you developed diabetes as a child what did your parents say to you that you were comforted, or helped that has stuck with you?

Many thanks

Hi Becca ...

Sending you big ((((((HUGS)))))) ... I so know how you feel ... There is not a day goes by where I dont think exactly the same as you do.

Give Rose a hug from me to ..

Heidi
xx🙂

I was diagnosed at 8 years old and found things incredibly difficult. As all children do, I loved my sweets. And I remember being takn to the fair about a week after I was diagnosed (let out of hospital for a night), and wanting some candy floss and bursting into tears when I couldn't have any. My mum gave me the biggest cuddles and told me that I couldn't have any, but there was lots of other things I could have that were just as nice.

I always used to tell my mum that I didn't want to be diabetic anymore. She used to tell me that it's a part of me, it makes me special and it makes me different to the 'boring normal people', and that made all the difference as a child.

My paternal father however...thats another story 😡

I always used to tell my mum that I didn't want to be diabetic anymore. She used to tell me that it's a part of me, it makes me special and it makes me different to the 'boring normal people', and that made all the difference as a child.

Thanks 🙂 That has helped....Have spent tonight really down about it all...Just one of those days. Tomorrow is another new start 🙂

Thanks again 🙂

i was diagnosed 2 weeks before my 3rd birthday, so i really honestly don't remember anything other than needles and blood sugars and diet drinks and limited sugary foods etc!

Hi Becca, this is just to say I hope you and Rose are feeling better. As a type 2 diagnosed in 1996 I ca't add to what others have said. I wish I could give you both a big hug and make it better for you.

Hi,
I got diagnosed when i was 16. I am happy i got it then.
My mum is wonderful about it, she like everyone else she hates that i have it and would rather she had it and not me. Typical mum.
It must be horrid for you seeing your kids with it, they are so young and its not fair on them.
It bad enough getting in your teens, when you want toeat junk and drink and have no routine like all your friends. I cant imagine how horrid it is as a child.
All i can say is even though it sucks and is not fair, it does help you to look after yourself more, and you understand the little things in life. Like how as long as your healthy life is great. and the joy of those rare times you can eat cake or sweets.
I am happy with myself now as a person, i think diabetes has helped me with this.
Hope your both ok. 🙂
xx

Oh Becca, just read your first post and am sat here snuffling at my desk at work (thank God it's a really quiet day with hardly anyone in!!!) That must have been an awful moment. Big, big hug to you.

I was diagnosed at 11 months, so being told I was diabetic never really happened (that I recall anyway!). My parents were Christians though, and always prayed & hoped for a cure, medical or miraculous (we're not fussy! 😛). In the meantime, they prayed for help with control / avoiding complications etc, ignored the more biggoted responses they got from some people (grrrr!) & just got on with doing the best they could.

I vaguely remember occasionally going through the "I don't want it it's not fair" type of emotions, but generally I think my parents just emphasised that it's just something I have, it helped make me who I am but doesn't define me in a negative way, and everyone has something or other to deal with in life (I hate the term 'cross to bear', it sounds like a curse). Overall, there was always the feeling that I was not alone with it. I think my parents tried to make things as normal as possible otherwise.

I do recall that on the way to diabetic clinic appts my mum used to play tapes by some woman (Joni something or other??) who was quadraplegic (i think) after a diving accident, but went on to have a singing career (subtle "it could be worse but whatever happens stay positive" message there perhaps?!)... don't remember being too impressed if I'm honest! 🙄 chuckle! Bless her...

I'm not sure what to say really. I think when kids are still young, they just seem to accept things are as they are - they might kick back a bit initially, but then more or less settle down. I guess maybe just involving her in her care as much as possible, telling her how clever she is in dealing with it and encouraging her to give everything "normal" kids do a go at least gives her lots of positive associations with the diabetes?...

Sorry if that's not much help!...

Hope you are both feeling better today 🙂

All the best,
Twitchy

Thank you so much for all your kind comments 🙂 Things have still been mad with levels as she has still been high due to the cold, she seems to be spiking after eating really high which is so unusual. Am mightily fed up, can't imagine what is happening inside her :(

This was the first time she ahs ever commented about her diabetes and not wanting it so it's a new one on me. I guess it won't be the first. Will be better prepared i think next time....

Hi Becca,

Hope this makes you chuckle...at least it sounds like you are a bit more sensitive about the diabetes then my dad...(bless him, daft old thing....) when I was a kid, he used to make me carry an old camera case (from a polaroid camera, so not small!), on which he had tippexed a big white square & marked on a big red cross with red biro 😱 ...in the case was my hypo treatments] of undiluted ribena (YUK!! 😱 ) and dry cream crackers... pretty embarressing I think you'll agree!! Not the best way to help your child feel normal (more like the "special" kid in the corner!)! I know (& knew at the time) that he was just trying to care for me, make sure I was safe, but even now I cringe a bit!... (He is a total sweety, just a bit batty at times...) Anyway, I hope the image makes you chuckle at least! It can't be easy being a diabetic's parent, but you will rise to the challenges, & you will both be ok. Hug!

Hi Becca,

Hope this makes you chuckle...at least it sounds like you are a bit more sensitive about the diabetes then my dad...(bless him, daft old thing....) when I was a kid, he used to make me carry an old camera case (from a polaroid camera, so not small!), on which he had tippexed a big white square & marked on a big red cross with red biro 😱 ...in the case was my hypo treatments] of undiluted ribena (YUK!! 😱 ) and dry cream crackers... pretty embarressing I think you'll agree!! Not the best way to help your child feel normal (more like the "special" kid in the corner!)! ...

This reminded me of my poem about Harry Hypo:

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=2321

:D

Oh my Lord, a camera case! Fantastically batty and caring. But difficult, I can imagine.

Becca, hope things are feeling more settled.

Best.

he he, that poem was the first thing to make me smile today! 🙂

Made me remember constantly "losing" my medic alert bracelet when in primary school...drove dad nuts! (Maybe the camera bag was his revenge lol!)

he he, that poem was the first thing to make me smile today! 🙂

Made me remember constantly "losing" my medic alert bracelet when in primary school...drove dad nuts! (Maybe the camera bag was his revenge lol!)

LOL! That has def. made me chuckle, thank you 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back