How to tell if I have diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Sutton

I am 14 years old, have not eaten well at breakfast for about 5/6 months now eating a lot of sugars but eating well at home. A few weeks ago at school my vision began to go blurry and after vision became fine I got a headache then felt sick. I am a fine weight and no where near over. Have I got diabetes?

Hello Joe
Have you spoken to your parents or guardian about the vision problems? It's possible it could be a symptom of diabetes, but eating lots of sugar for 5 or 6 months is unlikely to lead to diabetes. There's only really one way to know for sure and that's to see a doctor for a blood test, but I'm sure your Mum or Dad would like to know that you're not feeling very well, that way they can help. For teenagers and young adults the symptoms tend to be extreme thirst, needing to wee a lot, feeling very tired, losing weight despite eating lots of food. Wonky vision can be a symptom too but it would usually be in combination with those other things. Like all things it's best to let someone know you're feeling worried, wonky vision can be a symptom of lots of things, including migraines, a need for glasses and sometimes just not eating enough food, but it's always best to check it out just in case 🙂 even though it's most likely nothing to worry about.

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum 🙂 Have you spoken to your parents about this? If you are not eating properly it's possible that you are just suffering low energy, which can make you light-headed. Do you feel better when you have had something to eat? Whenever you feel poorly or experience something you don't understand it's best to talk to your parents and get things checked out by a nurse or doctor, always better to be safe than sorry 🙂

I feel generally fine after eating. I have been trying to cut down on bad foods and have felt absolutely fine since the blurry vision thing. What do you reckon my chance of having diabetes is?

I feel generally fine after eating. I have been trying to cut down on bad foods and have felt absolutely fine since the blurry vision thing. What do you reckon my chance of having diabetes is?
I'm not medically qualified to answer your question Joe, you need to see someone if you are worried. However, it doesn't sound like the symptoms of diabetes to me. Have a look at the following page and see what you think:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Diabetes-the-basics/Diabetes-Symptoms/

Welcome to the forum, as has been said, please speak to either your parent or guardian to get yourself checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back