How to stick to the lifestyle change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelineFan

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi there,

I've just joined today!

I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes in Jan 2006, after a blood test trial at St Mary's RMC, in Paddington, where I attend, to do with insulin resistence in pregnancy - we have been trying for a baby for 8.5 yeras and in that time have sadly had 4 miscarriages, (last one in 2003, not been able to fall Preg again since) - m/c's were not related to Diabetes.

I 'control' my Diabtetes with Diet & Exercise! I say control, but that's a bit of a joke at the moment. I just cannot find the motivation, and more importantly the willpower I need, to go back to the lifestyle changes I once mastered, after diagnosis. I've gradually slipped back into old bad habits and of course my readings are v. bad and I'm now paying for it. :( When I was 'being good', the numbers were, of course, fab!

Please, does anyone have any constructive advise, given your own experiences on how I can get back on track and make the lifestyle changes permenant! I've seen a Dietcian, but in all honesty found them of no help, as they only told me, what I already knew! I know what to eat, what not to eat, what exercise to do etc, I'm just REALLY struggling with putting it all into action again!!

HELP!!

Tamsin
x

Hi, the greatest motivator is fear, look for information on exactly what the implications of living with complications are. There is no, or very little, instant gratification with well contrlled diabetes, all the benefits are long term. The diabetic diet is very healthy, the exercise makes you fit and keeps you young - I am considerably fitter and slimmer than all my non diabetic contemporaries, I enjoy defying their expectations of what a diabetic should be like. If I wasn't diabetic I would be overweight and unhealthy and quite possibly drinking far too much (although I was told recently there are no carbs in wine, I'm not convinced) - keep positive but realistic and good luck V

I've just posted this to two other members

I was started on Metformin 15 years ago and struggled with high blood sugars for 3 years. I then decided to go the diet alone route and have never had high blood sugars since. My A1cs are in the 5% range and my average fasting plasmer glucose is < 6mmol/L. The diet I chose was low carb (if you don't put the glucose into your body - how can it raise your blood sugar!) but I cannot offer you advice but would recommend you talk to a professional that knows about this approach. Please be aware it is NOT an easy option but it does work.

Note: All carbs will raise your blood sugar some faster than others (low GI is best). Exercise is good because it means that you can eat more carbs, but I find that if I don't I just need to lower my carb intake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Tamsin

I've got to agree with Dia on this one, I'm only seven months into this so I guess I'm still on he goody goody levels but I'm trying to make the changes permanent. As you say It's difficult to make them permanent and already alcohol has made a come back.

Just get on and do it that's the only way. Feel grateful for the advances and the extra years and the many more you have to come. 100 years ago you'd be dead by now ! !

Alistair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back