How to secure plastic pump cannula in rugby

Epyrambs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
My son has type 1 diabetes and has recently started using the Medtronic 780G pump with the extended 7 day infusion sets. He is a keen rugby player. He disconnects his pump for playing contact rugby but yesterday had his cannula ripped out during a tackle. Can anyone recommend anything to help keep the cannula attached - I've considered the plaster-type stickers but wanted to find one that allowed for re-connection and disconnection of the pump without having to change the cannula each time he plays (he plays several times a week). Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Depending where he wears it vet wrap can be good if on the thigh. If on the abdomen vet wrap would still work you just need a lot of it . Vet wrap sticks to itself so won’t interfere with the cannula.

We’ve used various stickers to secure cannulas but we change every 3 days so it gets expensive. We currently use kineseology tape (with a hole cut in the middle) to go around the cannula. It’s very easy to remove and not unstick the cannula so you might find it works ok. Of the stickers we use for Dexcom the type one style ones stay better than other ones we’ve tried and we just leave them on for the life of the sensor.

Vet wrap (cohesive bandage) would be my suggestion. It can be reused multiple times. Obviously the cannula would need to be on an arm or leg for this to work though, so you can get a few wraps around it. If it was on the torso I can't see it working.
I know @PhoebeC plays/played rugby but uses a patch pump I think. She might have some suggestions though.

Thanks - he wears it on the side of his abdomen so vet wrap might be difficult. I also just discovered that you can get IV3000 infusion set stickers so might try this along with some skin tac wipes. He uses the new Medtronic Simplera Sync sensor but we haven't needed to use a sticker yet as the adhesive is wider and appears stronger than on the libre. I have the same pump although not on a closed loop so I might test a few things as I change my cannula every 3 days.

We're also still struggling with keeping his blood sugar up enough despite having very little insulin and lots of carbs beforehand - temp target for 4 hours beforehand seemed to work quite well before the cannula fell out but I'm finding that we have to at least double or even quadruple the adjustments that the diabetes team recommend because his matches are so intense.

I am not a rugby player and my activities are not contact sports so I have no issue with the cannulas.
However, I find that in order to avoid going low, I need to suspend my basal at least 30 minutes before starting spin, for example, to minimise insulin on board during the intense one hour class. In fact, ideally, it is 1 hour before starting.
It took me some time to realise the active time for fast acting insulin is the same whether I use it for basal or bolus.
So, ideally, I will restart it 30 minutes before the class ends to avoid going high afterwards but that is not always possible, especially if I keep going for longer (or finish early).

I am not a rugby player and my activities are not contact sports so I have no issue with the cannulas.
However, I find that in order to avoid going low, I need to suspend my basal at least 30 minutes before starting spin, for example, to minimise insulin on board during the intense one hour class. In fact, ideally, it is 1 hour before starting.
It took me some time to realise the active time for fast acting insulin is the same whether I use it for basal or bolus.
So, ideally, I will restart it 30 minutes before the class ends to avoid going high afterwards but that is not always possible, especially if I keep going for longer (or finish early).
Thanks, that's useful to know. I'm also a type 1 diabetic and I've had it for 33 years and been on a pump for 8 years. I tend to do a temp basal in the lead up to doing intensive exercise. However, my son was only diagnosed a year ago and I think he's still honeymooning. He's on such tiny doses of insulin that I think it takes a lot longer for him to be "starved" of insulin for his blood sugar to rise enough for him to start rugby. Sometimes it's a real challenge to get enough carbs into him beforehand as he seems to defy all science!!

Back